Can Sertraline make you feel suicidal after only 4 tablets?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im a 19 year old female and started taking sertraline 4 days ago for anxiety. I was on sertraline last year but was taken off it after taking an overdose and worsening of my self harm. Since taking sertraline I have had quite a few panic attacks. Yesterday I had a panic attack which was so severe that my whole body seized up and I was virtually paralysed, and paramedics had to come out. For the rest of the day I had three more mini panic attacks and im feeling really scared. I took my fourth tablets about 2 hours ago and am experiencing intense physical symptoms of anxiety and also suicidal thinking. is this normal? what can I do?

I also feel incredibly tired and my head feels funny. I am having heart palpitations and cannot eat

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jess, 

Yes, sertraline can give you all of these side effects after just one tablet. You need to contact your GP or local hospital immediately if you're feeling suicidal, or feel like harming yourself. Generally these side effects wear off after 3-4 weeks. 

• Posted

If these tablets are causing you to have these thoughts perhaps your doctor should try you on some other anti depressant. You poor thing you shouldn't have to go through all this. Keep talking on here. I find it a friendly and helpful forum. 
  • Posted

It just seems too early to have these side effects. I feel so unwell, currently feeling exhausted, sick, my head feels fuzzy, and my body is aching but think that may be from the intense panic attack last night. I woke up at 5am on the floor, at the opposite end of the room so i didnt fall out of bed. its so strange. I keep getting waves of really intense anxiety and i dont feel i can cope with them, theyre making me think suicidal.
    • Posted

Are you living on your own? Perhaps you need to have someone with you while you feel like this. 
    • Posted

I live in supported housing so there are lots of people in the house, but it seems to get worse when im around people and so currently just trying to rest in bed
    • Posted

Glad you can get some rest and if you feel really bad then you can call someone to get you through. It's so horrible to feel like this. I have felt this as well. I don't have panic attacks but do suffer with depression
    • Posted

Its so frustrating when meds that are supposed to help actually make you worse. I feel like im going to have another panic attack. Its so difficult
    • Posted

It is frustrating I know. Pm me if you feel you want a chat. It might help.
  • Posted

Hi, yeh i had a panic attack yesterday too. I collapsed on my kitcehn floor, siezed up. I was in the house on my own so i had to crawl to the phone 2 rooms away to ring an ambulance. Luckily they arrived in time. I was rushed to hospital and they helped me recover. It is so horrible to experience isn't it rolleyes But now i am going to go to a doctors and ask for cognitive behavoural therapy as i has tried everything else like SRRI medication citalopram and supplementation. The anxiety will make your heart have palpitations, thats what i get. it feels like it skips a beat or is going wrong but its just the anxiety messing with your thoughts. Best thing to do is keep seeing a doctor and try different things until you get better. Stay focused on how good you want to feel one day. Imagine how happy you can be one day. It will take time but eventually with the right help you will feel better.
  • Posted

I have just been sick. Will this affect the meds? i actually think i was sick because of the meds....
    • Posted

it depends if the meds got into your blood stream already or not. did you throw up the tablet? either way whatever you do, DO NOT take another pill untill your next meant to take one. this may cause an overdose. Stay safe
  • Posted

Paramedics have just been called again due to another paralysing panic attack. Think I'm going to stop taking these meds. My anxiety was easier to deal with before 
    • Posted

Jess, you can't just stop taking this medication or you'll have withdrawal symptoms (possibly worse side effects than now) please get advice from a dr before stopping this medication. It takes days to come out of your system anyway, so these symptoms won't just stop

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.