Can Sertraline make you miss periods?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been on Sertraline for a couple of months. I was started on 50mg then they increased them to 100mg as my anxiety was getting really bad. The 100mg was way too strong for me so i came off them cold turkey (i know, a really bad thing to do) but i had missed my period. Did 4 pregnancy tests all came back negative, had a blood test to test my hcg levels, came back normal. So im just wondering if this particular anti depressant can cause missed periods? I spotted for a couple of days the other day so thats worried me? Also wondered if it could have been my anxiety thats interfering with my periods? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi , it's 100% your anxiety Hun.

I had the same when I was at my worst! My periods would come and go , on for 2 days off for 3 days on again for a week then off then on, it's totally your anxiety and the meds , because you are so stressed and anxious, the smallest amount of stress can affect our monthly cycle, let alone sever anxiety and AD.

Is there anything else your worrying about, ask away xxx

• Posted

Iv had the same my doctor upped me to 100mg and no my period that is bang on every month has stopped 12 days 🙁 But annoying as I'm trying to conceive aswell x 

• Posted

yes it's true i was so frustrated, i took my pregnancy test the other day, got weak positive, then i took again today, i got negative, i was so frustrated as im trying to conceive, no one ever tell me that srtraline would do this to me, im becoming more and more depressed

• Posted

I’ve also just started taking The medication too an now my period is two weeks late an I’m on CD 49 which is like the longest it’s been and I’ve only just started having some cramps, I’ve quit them cold turkey now. I know it’s bad an I don’t know what to do but I’m Trying to conceive aswell an have been for 2.9 years now! Don’t need anything to mess with me! Honestly thought I was pregnant! But obviously not. Too many negative tests. But I suffer from bad anxiety! 
  • Posted

Hi you can be surprised what can make you miss your periods, a whole bunch of things and anxiety is one of them and the more you worry the more your body suffer changes, drugs are a bid cause as well and i should know, there is no drug i have not been put on for all the illnesses i have , depression, anxiety, ibs, eating disorder, bdd, so i can help people on a lot of subjects as well as people help me, i would not worry to much , are you on the pill, i am on the mini pill and i do not see periods its great, but i do suffer stomach problems, so its swings and roundabouts, look into it more you may need a alternative medicine kinder to you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.