Can severe stress cause this

Posted , 8 users are following.

been having the problem of not making the toilet in time which results in severe diarrhoea very vety embarrassing if I'm out. Was at hospital today having colonoscopy she couldn't see anything but has taken biopsy .  I am under terrible work related stress and was wondering if this could be the problem. Many thanks for any advice offered .

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

poor you hun how horrid 

the answer is yes  most definatly if i get stressed about anything i will get stomach cramps and urgency and stomach upset ,my son to . 

when we are not under stress this does not happen . 

Acupunture is very good for dealing with i b s . 

as is self hypnoses cds you can get ones for relif of i b s use daily till symptoms reduce 

• Posted

Definitely, stress makes it worse and much more urgent. I can go all day at home with no flare ups but as soon as I'm out and start thinking of 'what ifs' I get stressed and the cramps and needing to go starts. I'm thinking of trying kalms tablets to see if it helps, I'll have to talk to my g.p first though
    • Posted

I know it's coming from work but to address it. My employer is not very sympathetic and not approachable. bit of a bully too
    • Posted

Sounds like the boss from hell rolleyes I take Colpermin pills for ibs or audmonals as soon as the symptoms come. Colpermin is literally 0.2% of peppermint oil but it seems to stop it for me. The audmonals I think you have to get prescribed those, they stop the spasms. I've been practicing breathing patterns to calm myself down when I'm getting stressed, yoga and meditation are supposed to help
    • Posted

could you report him . bullying at work isent allowed 

you really need to put a stop to this inflicted health problem before it becomes a way of life

• Posted

l think stress adds to it, l can get the urgency suddenly and have to rush to toilet, its horrible thing, like a spasm,  it was worse when my sons were at home if in bathroom, so accidents can happen,  now in  their own homes so always free bathroom, but yes its worse if out, l also think oh no, what if.  Hope you can find a better employer, been there also, not good feeling you need to stay in job when your boss is a desensatised  person, but its bad if it affects your health, good luck
  • Posted

I'm so sorry for your stress and awful symptoms. Becomes a worse cycle for you, I'm sure! See about some medications to calm the spasms so you can have longer times and more control...and maybe diet recommendations for a few days? Like when my boys are sick and they get electrolytes and then bland food like rice and bananas?  For my IBS I had to stop eating for a day or so and take antispasmotics when it was at its worst. That kind of broke the cycle.  So did dumping my then-boyfriend, but I didn't realize his toxicity at the time. Haven't needed meds since and that was 1990s. Sounds like changing jobs is good medicine for you and I wish you luck!
  • Posted

Stress can cause all sorts of problems to the human body.

Try to do something to relax Yourself, just listening to some music, or ashort walk. For me walking just half an hour is distressing.

• Posted

stress is the main factor that can worsen IBS, at least in my case. the day i start getting sound sleep, my diarrhoea goes away. once it disturbs, symptom worsen. meditation can help, or if stress is extreme light medications can help.
  • Posted

I would ask for a test for c.diff...the three day sample collection for several different problem bugs and he analysis is most accurate

very severe diarrhoea is a symtpom of c.diff infection, which can be brought on by antibiotic treatment

• Posted

you should always eat lots of yogart with antibiotics 

have you tried mixing thick set live yogart with bottled water and drinking daily this works quicker than eating it 

half a large  tub to a pint of water . i was told this by a nutriionlist 

cloves are very healing and bone broth made from organic  chicken carcus or grass feed beef bones  . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.