Can shingles be on your whole face?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with shingles last  week about 5 days after my rash appeared. Monday the rash was on the right side of my face *the same as my other rashes) so yesterday went to the eye doctor and said yes it was shingles and gave me an Rx for just incase.  This morning it looks as if I have the rash over other areas on the left side of my face.  Wondered if that was actually possible.  Thanks for your input

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    I am so sorry you are ill. Shingles does not cross the midline of your body, unless you are exceptionally immunocompromised and extremely ill. As you mentioned other rashes, I believe you most likely have been misdiagnosed.

    Shingles begins with flu-like symptoms, joint and muscle aches, headache, chills and sweats. The symptoms are followed by crops of vesicles-blisters appearing on a red base. These crust over. These vesicles-blisters are contagious when they break. and occur only on one side of the body. You can only get shingles-zoster if you had chickenpox previously. Usually, shingles causes pain, EXTREME PAIN, with occasional mild itching.

    May I ask how old are you?

    Do you have Lupus, Cancer,Psoriasis, ITP, Rheumatoid arthritis? Are you on corticosteroids ie Prednisone Medrol Pack?

    Is this rash painfu? How did your rash present? What does it look like?

    What medications are you taking, and did you have any dose increase or start a new medication? Where exactly are your rashes and what are the accompanying symptoms?

    I hope this helps..

    I am a Nurse Practitioner, Stateside and also have recurrent Herpes Zoster Oticus-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 19 years.

    Merry Juliana

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted


    i got shingles for the first time under my boob.within days I then got an eruption which looked the same to me across my it crossed both sides I was told it wasn't the shingles virus but nevertheless a herpes form of virus and was told to treat it the same and wasn't allowed to work til it cleared.

    i still get flare ups on my chin but it hasn't reappeared under my boob.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    You should definitely see a GP again, not just an eye doc! I've had shingles on my scalp and was diagnosed when it also appeared on my right shoulder/upper arm then on my wrist and hand, same side. I'm 72. It cannot be diagnosed properly unless you see the doctor as soon as possible. You may still be able to get antiviral pills to help it clear up quicker with any luck. It can linger and then you can have post herpetic neuralgia (HPN), which can last some time. Keep in touch with us on here. Best wishes Ellie


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Did the eye doc due a stain on your eye to diagnose the disease, or scrape some of the vesicles-blisters to obtain the contents to send it off to a lab?

    Ellie is correct in that you should see an internist to get it properly diagnosed and treated.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up