Can Shingles cause burning in the lungs

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone knows whether shingles can cause red hot burning in the lungs. I walked 5 minutes outside after a week in recovery (and 7 days on antiviral) and I couldn't breathe well with burning in lungs. I am used to running 10 km/week and I couldn't walk for 5 minutes..

Any insight would be great!...how long should it take to get over shingles when one is on antitviral meds ?

Thanks again..Robson

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rob. are you coughing and/or bringing up any mucus or phlegm? I've had shingles for 3.5wks now & now on a 2nd course of anti virals as 2 days after finishing the 1st course, it came back on both side of my body & doc says some of it looks like chicken pox, some like shingles. additionally 2days after finishing the 1st lot of anti virals I've developed a very productive cough which doc said is most likely to be part of the virus. that's why i was asking about cough & phlegm. in severe cases i have read it can affect the lungs possibly causing pneumonia - which  i think  you would really know about if you had it. i haven't had any burning around the lungs area just on shoulders, forearm, behind ears where the shingles rashes came out, & itchy both buttocks where the chicken pox style rash came out.  i think you should go back to doc's as you sound fit if you are a runner, is the burning pain around your lungs the same kind of sunburn pain you got with the rest of your shingles areas??

• Posted

Thanks for your interest and comments,

I have no cough at all. It is only when I walk, I get a huge burning sensation under my breastbone radiating out into the lungs. I walked 200 ft yesterday and almost collasped (not from pain at all) just sudden weakness and breathing. It is very scary. I have been off work for 2 weeks and my improvement is not what I thought it would be at this juncture.

Hope you feel better soon,

rob

• Posted

Hi Rob. I really think you should go back to your doctor. hope you feel better soon too.
    • Posted

Hi Rob, I wanted to let you know that I have had shingles for 5 months 3 reoccuring rashes and my rash started on my foot believe it or not the pain was inside my rib cage and yes my lung was burning, I cannot walk too far either but I'm also a smoker and I got phlegm in my lung and I had pneumonia in my right lung you seriously need to go back to the doctor if you're still having this problem cuz it could be pneumonia I hope you're feeling better soon good luck

• Posted

Rob,

First, I am sorry you have contracted this disease. You didn't specify your age or where your rash was. Burning sensation in your lungs is not a normal part of recovering from Herpes Zoster-Shingles, and my advice to you would be to seek medical attention, ASAP! Usually when patients have that feeling, including me, they are getting a nasty pneumonia or bronchitis. If it is a bilateral sensation, it is usually not from the Herpes Zoster-Shingles virus.

Please don't expect to bounce back from this in one or two weeks. The Herpes Zoster-Shingles virus has attacked not only your nervous system, but also circulated in your body. Expect to feel fatigue and exhaustion for possibly months.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty years and twice in my right eye.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks so much for your insight and comments! Much appreciated. When I take a deep breathe, my breathing is clear and full without any crackling or indication of lung infection. It is when I have to breather a little quicker during a walk etc., I end up weakening quickly to a point I am on the verge of fainting. I think it maybe the nerves being affected in the chest/respiratory area as I inhale/exhale? My shingles developed directly centre of my breastbone/sternum. 

I am 46 year old male and 3 weeks ago was running/biking etc without any health issues at all...crazy times..going into week 2 of being immobilized. Could be worse so I am thankful that I should recover at some point!

Enjoy your day

• Posted

Hi Rob,

As the Zoster developed directly over the sternum, you certainly could have pain from the Zoster. It is difficult to tease out what is Herpes Zoster-Shingles, actual lung pain from infection, heart pain, gastrointestinal pain, etc. The one caveat I have is that it is induced by exercise. I always think of cardiac issues, when induced by exercise, even though the quality isn't quite right for cardiac. I would see your physician and get checked out to be on the safe side.

Please let me know what they say.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks agin, this must be Zoster causing havoc beneath the dermal layer. I am clear on heart thank goodness so I guess this is the virus which is induced during any sort of excercise...even walking...a wait and see..
    • Posted

OK Rob,

But take it very easy on yourself!

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Rob, it probably is the virus wiping you out. its affected my respiratory system since 2 days after finishing the 1st lot of anti viral meds - I've had a very productive phlegmy cough since, but now on the 2nd course (tomorrow last day) it has eased a bit (less phlegm) since yesterday, & better still today. Just hope it doesnt all repeat after i finish the anti virals like last time. i  still personally think you should go & get checked out by the doctor with the burning pain in your chest & difficult breathing.  like merry says, best to be on the safe side.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.