Can shingles reappear in different part of body?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with shingles above my right eye. Luckily it was treated quickly with antiviral, prednisone and gabapentine. It did not spread or cause me much discomfort and seems to be healing. But today I found an itchy rash in a single line on my lower back, where I can't see it. Could this be a new appearance of the same shingles?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, as far as I know shingles episodes "appears on one side of the body only!

Right or left! But If it's on both sides usually it's not shingles?

• Posted

Dear Ziva,

Shingles usually does not occur in another spot on your body. However, you took Prednisone, which made you immunocompromised, and could have caused a relapse. Shingles can do this, can cross the midline, and also recurs with maddening frequency in some of us.

You need to see a clinician today to get the rash evaluated. The Herpes Zoster-Shingles occurs in a dermatome pattern, like a belt encircling your back and possibly your abdomen.

When in doubt, the clinician should err on the side of prescribing another week of Antivirals, preferably Valcyclovir or Famciclovir.

Please keep us posted as to the outcome.

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

About a week after getting shingles on my face, I had yet anotherĀ  stressful event and did get shingles on my lower body. I think shingles are still a huge mystery in many ways. I hope you heal and feel better!
    • Posted

Thank you. The rash on my face is definitely shingles; I've had it for two weeks. My husband's chemo nurse (another complication) said this rash was also shingles. The urgent care doctor was not sure and referred me to my primary care physician who referred me to a dermatologist who refused to see me for two weeks. I hope I'm doing all I can to prevent my husband's catching it: that's my primary concern right now. Right now the stress connected to this disease is worse than the disease itself.

• Posted

Ziva,

If the vesicle-blisters are more horizontal than vertical, and did not appear at once, but are cropping up in waves, and are on a red base, it is Shingles. You need to start/continue on an Antiviral.

If your husband already had chicken pox, you are not contagious.

No wonder you are stressed. As you are not being seen immediately, I would go to an urgent care.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I can't see the rash but it is spreading. I went to the urgent care but the doctor was uncertain. He said that I could not take any more antiviral medication. Luckily I found a dermatologist who is willing to see me today. Thanks for your good wishes.

• Posted

Ziva,

I am glad you are seeing a dermatologist, today. So many Physicians are poor are diagnosis and treatment of Shingles, and rashes.

Please keep me posted!

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks.

I saw the dermatologist who said that the new rash is probably not shingles. He said it is "highly unusual" for shingles to spread or recur so soon after the antivirals I had taken. He also gave me an antibiotic cream to put on both areas. The rash is still spreading, but mostly vertically. Hopefully his biopsy will clarify. Thank you all for your support.

• Posted

Hi,  I'm no doctor, but sure sounds like you should have it checked out!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.