Can sitting too long trigger a flare up?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. I had a flare up a couple of months ago and I wonder if it could have been triggered by bad posture. I hadn't had a flare up for years before this but have recently started working from home doing an office job and I wonder if this was the trigger. I can't work out if its anxiety causing it or if it's a genuine pain I get from sitting at my desk for a while. Has anyone else had this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i think it coul dbe something to do with it. i had an attack last year after the bad weather when i was sitting in for a week with the snow and couldnt go out.

• Posted

I agree, body movement helps your digestive system to do it's job so try to move around for a few minutes (do some dancing!) every half hour. It will help prevent back pain and shoulder/neck pain as well.

Anxiety won't help you at all, as soon as people get anxious their gut downs tools in case it's required to evacuate and flee the danger! If the job is making you anxious try to find ways to fix this (talk to your boss, find a coping strategy, learn to switch off - whatever). At the end of the day, if your job is making you worse, you have to consider which is more important. Try to make the job work for you, if it won't then maybe you'll have to look for something else (and I know this ain't easy!).

• Posted

What you say is interesting because it is just what I've been thinking of late.

I've had a few twinges in my lower left side during the last week and have been sitting for longer periods as I've been doing a lot of computer work. Normally I'm up and about for most of the day.

I was looking back in my diaries and found that my "flares" appear to come on and around times of sitting for longer periods or at times when I am bending more. One bad episode came after I laid a new floor in my lounge!!!! Loads of bending doing that! It might just be a coincidence but it does seem to form a pattern. Does bending or sitting put too much pressure on our sigmoid and irritate the diverticula, for example???

I can never be sure what really triggers my flare ups, though.

Since eating more soluble fibre and much less insoluble I have greatly reduced the painful cramps and aches which were an almost daily problem for me and so far no flare up for 8 months.

But what you say does give me food for thought!

x

• Posted

I was given some very good advice when I worked from home for a year. I made a point of getting up and going out for a walk in the fresh air at lunch time for around 20 minutes. I might just be round the block or to the shops. I think the exercise helps the inner workings and the fresh air refreshes the brain and lowers stress! It's far too easy to get trapped at the desk when you work from home. My Diverticular Disease did not play me up during that year.

• Posted

Thank you for all the replies. I tried googling a connection but couldn't find anything. I've changed my office chair and an consciously trying to stand up and move around a bit more. Hopefully that will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.