Can smoking help ulcerative colitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there I'm a 42 year old male with at least moderate ulcerative colitis last blood test I had a CRP of 2 . I was diagnosed with ulcerative proctitis in 2013 and it has progressed to left sided colitis . I have been in hospital numerous times I have had three big rounds of prednisone oral and Iv and every time I came off them I flared and side effects were terrible .

I have tried Azathorphrine and vediolizomab both I couldn't cope with the side effects the vedozlimab gave me a skin rash severe fatigue nausea flu like symptoms . I'm back on a high dose of Asacol and steriod enemas . My next stop is to speak to a surgeon which my Gastro Dr doesn't think my colitis at the moment merits this but I can't seem to cope with the side effects of the immune suppressants medications .

I'm flaring at the moment I've heard smoking might help I'm willing to try anything at the moment can anyone with information in this ?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ross,

Smoking is something you should not consider to take up following the additional health implictions associated, however, transdermal nicotine has been proven to exhibit therapeutic effects. Although the exact mechanism is not fully understood. Possibly due to the supression of TH2 (immune) cell function, although, again side effects are still associated - hypertension and addiciton. In addition, reduced blood flow to the colon is also a characteristic feature of UC which may be compounded from nicotine therapy leading to thrombosis. Fluffe, noted that it is positively associated in crohn's, it is true however it is importnant to note that UC and CD are similar conditions, not the same.

In terms of looking for alternative treatments, from my knowledge of the literature, i would suggest to endeavour to explore these avenues before considering surgery, as this is not without its complications - an irreversable dicision. I would advise a combination of anti-oxidant therapy to combat oxidative stress with probiotics to rebalance dysbiosis and possibly something to slow bowel motility to improve efficacy. Although, be careful with anything that slows motility as this can cause mega colon and ukltimately perfration of the bowel - alife threatening complication. Notably, UCs responsivness fluctuates from person to person, the best advise I can give is to research as much as possible to enable you to make an informed decision, though ultimately it is trial and error as you will know how your body responds. I too suffer with moderate to severe distal colitis (25yrs old) diagnosed in Feb. 15'. 

Paul

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.