Can somebody please tell me what the hell is wrong with me?

Posted , 3 users are following.

This has been happening to me for about a year now. I use to wake up in the night being only able to open and close my eyes, then I start hearing a really loud and painful noise that’s like stabbing me in my ears. And like that wouldn’t be enough, once with that white noise comes a really  weird sense of dizziness, I feel like my head is going absolutely crazy, moving in circles. Most of the times I hear disturbing sounds besides that, like people screaming or coughing really loudly. I do admit though that I have a pretty sporadic sleep pattern. I too am a musician and spend a lot of time exposed to loud noises, which might (probably) indicate some form of tinnitus. But the thing is that this never happens to me during the day... I got no clue what the hell this could be. Some help would be highly appreciated. Cheers!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Ed,

Could you clarify something you said in your post? "...being only able to open and close my eyes..." Does this mean the rest of you is paralysed?

This is a very important distinction. If the answer to this question is yes, then you have a classic case of sleep paralysis. I won't go into a full explanation at this point, just in case the answer to my question is no.

If you do find yourself paralysed in these episodes, then you have nothing to worry about - in spite of the hallucinations, which affect around 50% of people who regularly have sleep paralysis. I've had it for more than 50 years, complete with some pretty nasty hallucinations, and I'm still OK! I'm also a former neuro nurse btw, so reasonably well placed to understand what's going on.

Please feel free to post more details if you'd like to - and specifically whether or not you're paralysed (apart from your eyes) in these episodes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.