Can someone explain my prostate symptom?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am 73 years old with BPH, (Prostate 40 gms by Ultrasound). I take Alfuzosin, every night, and Finasteride, once a day. I've been doing well for the past few years. My only complaint is urinating 1 to 3 times a night. Lately I've had a new stressful symptom that maybe someone on this forum can help me understand.

Occasionally during sleep, I wake up with a strong urge to pee. I go to the toilet but can't get the stream started, no matter what I do. . . . just a few drops. I go back to bed, lie down for 3 to 5 minutes, and then again get up to pee. This second time, everything functions normally. I have had this experience about once a week for the past 4 weeks. This series of events is very disturbing to me since I don't understand why the urinary retention corrects itself in just a few minutes, and I fear that someday it might not correct and I'll be hurriedly off to the emergency room for a catheter. Any ideas about my intermittent short-lived urinary retention? I appreciate any ideas or comments you might have.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

this is a common thing. i have the same issue as do many men on this forum. it basically means your situation is progressing. have you considered an intervention? surgical?

• Posted

I'm thinking of FLA. Seems to have the best success rate though not covered by Medicare.

• Posted

Hey Jerry

At 73 I think you are doing very well. At that age some men have all ready had one or 2 procedure.

I don't know if this is a big problem but I think it has something to do with laying down and putting pusher on the kidneys.You say you get up 1 to 3 times a night. What were you doing before. Has it changed. Do you watch what you drink at night or you salt intact.

As you progress you are going to have to watch what you eat and drink. You may have to change your diet. Keep tract you will be able to pin point what you are doing during the day.

Good luck...............................Ken

• Posted

Jerry,

You are very lucky - I get up 5-6 times per night. Usually it takes a couple of attempts to really clear the bladder, so what you are experiencing is nothing unusual. 40g prostate is not that large - enough to cause some flow restriction, but nothing extreme. You may also be having some bladder outlet issues - the bladder muscles might be tight and have to relax once you are up, then it's easier to pee on the second attempt.

Before you have any procedure you must know if your issues are being caused by your prostate or bladder. Urodynamics testing can find this out. Using simple ultrasound you can find out your PVR (Post Void Residual) and that way you will know if your bladder is able to empty and if not, how much urine is retained.

Back to my original comment: if you are getting up 1-2 times per night you are very fortunate!!

Tom

• Posted

Hi Jerry, have you found that the Alfuzosin has work for you as a medication? Have you noticed any side effects with it? I see Kenneth replied to you. He knows a lot about this stuff.

• Posted

No apparent side effects. I really think it gives me a larger stream at night. During the day, my stream seems fine - no complaints. Therefore I only take it at bed time.

• Posted

Hi Jerry:

I take alfuzosin as well. The recommendation seems to be to take alfuzosin immediately after a meal. The absorption rate after a full meal is much higher than on an empty stomach. Also, it takes alfuzosin about 8 hours to reach maximum concentration in the blood.

If you google alfuzosin under the rxlist.com result, you'll find the following:

"The recommended dosage is one 10 mg UROXATRAL (alfuzosin HCl) extended-release tablet once daily. The extent of absorption of alfuzosin is 50% lower under fasting conditions. Therefore, Uroxatral should be taken with food and with the same meal each day. The tablets should not be chewed or crushed."

• Posted

Yes, your situation must be common for the replies here. And I can say your symptoms are identical to mine. And I do mean identical. Right down to the 10mg alfuzosin.

But you may have stumbled on something that I have been wondering about (as a 72-year old otherwise healthy guy who -- without strict policing of fluid intake after 7 pm -- is up to TRY to pee every two hours...like clockwork.)

You mention that if you go back to bed and then try again in ten mins, it is"easier" to begin a flow. My own theory for my own situation is that muscles in the back (I have back issues) are somehow -- in a prone position ion bed -- pressing on the nerves or nerve that allow flow to begin. Your own "technique" of going back to bed and then rising again may indicate that you are successfully disturbing a nerve array that is causing the larger problem of inability to void. My own routine: up every two hours -- by the clock -- and sitting for five mins or longer voiding brief squirts at maybe 1 minute intervals.

But speaking of the nerve side of things, I find the cooling effect of the outdoors to enable voiding on standing. I have gone outside on our deck at 2 a.m. sometimes and am amazed at the difference in the cool night air. Immediate stream.

As for your concerns over the longer haul, I have had these symptoms for 20+ years. Hasn't grown worse -- but certainly hasn't gotten any better. I thus need naps during the day to make up for disturbed sleep in the nighttime. The biggest thing I can do to help myself is not to consume any fluids within 3 to 4 hrs of bedtime. For me, that is a daunting task.

Just know that you are not alone and are with plenty of sympathy from the men who visit this site.

• Posted

Owen, you bring up some good points. One thing I've noticed over the past few years is that I have slight swelling in my ankles and lower legs. So I'm sure, raising my legs for sleep, reduces the swelling and produces more urine as I sleep. So I've tried various things to combat nocturia: compression hose has worked; taking a 20 mg Lasix (diuretic) around 5pm causes me to pee a lot up to bedtime; and I've tried the salty potato chips at bedtime, recommended by on of the contributers. They all work somewhat.

• Posted

Jerry and all men on here.

Jerry I don't know if I'm understanding this problem. Your trying not to pee all the time and not get up at night.

With you taking 20 mg Lasix and taking in a lot of sale. You are going to accumulate a lot of water. It has to come out. To me you may be aggravating the problem. If you have to take the Lasix for your legs it is best that you keep them up during the day and if you can at night.

I was told that many years ago. When I had the problem. I do not have that anymore. I was very heavy at one time. 340 was my top weight. I all ways felt like someone was seating on my chest. My legs use to swell up at least 5X the size. Use to have a hard time walking

That is when my heart doctor found a blockage on the left side. All so found out I had a stomach problem. Had to change a lot of how I was eating and this was before I had my Urolift done.

Right know I am doing ok still have some problems but that is life and I am not going to give up. I have been watching what I eat for years and I'm done to 180. It has been a change fro wearing a 50 pants to a 36 and a 4X shirt to a L or XL.

I will do anything to try to be healthy. My prostate is still wide open but as we get older things to change. I'm on a muscle relaxer for my external sphincter it is to tight. My doctor is great. He found out what the problem was. Last November my bladder shut down. Most doctor would not do that. They would feel that it was the prostate and want to do some procedure.

We being all different we have to find out what works for us. If it's medicine, food or both. Found out what is right for you. Life is to short to give up on our bodies and you may find the silver lining yet

Take care my friends............Ken

• Posted

Yes jerry. I was also diagnosed with the same or similar condition -- mine is called peripheral artery disease or PAD. Symptoms: swollen calves around my sock line after a day's work (I work part- time delivering auto parts -- for the "fun" of it 😉.

Now that the cold weather has arrived -- and for your advice re compression stockings and nighttime stream issues -- I will buy a pair. I had been avoiding them for the sticky discomfort factor in warmer weather. Thanks for the tip.

• Posted

Kenneth, what you say about salt is true - too much is not good for you. But if you take salt at night (like on some salty potato chips), the blood sodium level in your body rises. This causes the body to secrete a hormone called ADH (anti-diuretic hormone). That tells the kidneys to retain more fluid and not make as much pee - which brings the sodium level back down toward normal. This effect can give you a better night's sleep due to less urine production. I wouldn't do this regularly, but occasionally it works well.

• Posted

Jerry

That is good to know. I do not use a lot of salt in cooking but everyone in a while I do get a taste for chips or corn chips.

I never had a problem at night going to the bathroom. I just have a problem with sleeping. I am more of a night owl.

If the chips work for you then do what every you need to do. Just be careful.

Have a great Holiday................Ken

• Posted

Still on the subject of salt: there is an on-line "treatment" for BPH suggesting a teaspoon of salt in a chilled quart of water. The solution is then administered via enema bottle -- for a supposedly BPH-relieving therapy before bedtime. ("Hold" the solution for one minute, then expel. Rinse and repeat. The water must be chilled.)

Given the focus on salt, perhaps there is something to this? I may finally try it tonight and report back.

• Posted

Please do. You never know it may work. Take a hot bath after.

Have a great day...............Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.