Can someone give me info on Anaemia??

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had bloods done and told I would need b12 for the rest of my life, and to get my children tested as is they could have it too.

I had about 8 shots every other day to start off, now every three months. After initial dose, got ill with chronic reflux which lasted about 4 months. It caused lung infections and I could hardly eat. I then got told I need vitamin d daily for three months as well as the folic acid I take daily. My hands are always icy cold and fingers tingle and hurt, my memory is awful. I have recently been diagnosed with depression and anxiety too.

Are these symptoms of Pernicious Anaemia???

I was so ill at time I did nt ask for info from doctor, so any help will be appreciated .

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have a look at the Pernicious Anaemia Society website. There is a full symptom list on there, and more information. Did your GP test your thyroid too? Very often we have problems with both things. The depression and anxiety are probably due to feeling so unwell. Do you know what your levels were when you were diagnosed? B12 is needed in every cell in your body, if you've been low for a long time it will take a while for the levels to recover. Sometimes we need the injections more frequently than every three months. There are ways of supplementing if your GP won't increase the frequency of the injections. Sublingual sprays and tablets, and nasal sprays. Normal tablets usually don't work because our digestive route is compromised in some way. It's a good idea to ask for copies of your blood tests to keep track of things yourself. Very best wishes Marion.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for the information. I have an appointment at doctors tomorrow, so will ask for a copy of my bloods. I think I do need extra b12, as I only feel a little better for a few weeks.

I ll go on the website too, as any thing that would benefit me, would make me feel more positive.

Thanks again

• Posted

It will take time for the levels to re-build, it 's also a good idea to take a general B Complex multi vitamin. If we are low in B12 it is often true of other vitamins too. I am currently taking a VitD and K2 supplement, as my low Vit D was only detected last year ( nearly a year after the low B12 was discovered)! Do hope your GP will be well informed and helpful to you in getting you well again? Mine was only picked up after I became very unwell, and needed many prescriptions of antibiotics. I also have underactive thyroid and fibromyalgia. Very best wishes Marion
    • Posted

It's good to know that things will improve with time. I went on website and have most of the symptoms.

I m changing my gp, as I got really ill and the just gave 90 mg of lanzoprazole and gaviscon. Oh and an inhaler as I could nt breathe. I have lost one and a half stone. I have to buy children's clothes, as dropped lower than a 6. When I told them about my fingers and hands and shaking, I was told to tell her on my next appointment.

Hopefully my next gp will offer more help. I was nt told anything about b12 and my anaemia. I m on 10k daily of vitamin D for 3 months then bloods done to see if they have gone to normal.

Thanks to you and this website I am now more informed about my condition.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with P.A. Just over 3 1/2 months ago, had shots similar to you and now need 1 every 12 wks.  So far I only have the numbness/  pins & needles in my hands most nights, and the poor memory problems. I seem to be luckier than most - so far anyway !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.