can someone help.......

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Diverticular Disease about 6 months ago and at 22 years old it was a bit of a shock not only to myself but to my doctor as-well but after ct scans, x-rays and colonoscopy it was confirmed that it was DD.

The only problem is i seam to be having small flare ups very frequently (about 1-2 a week) and major flare ups(every other month) which result in me crippled in pain and most of the time involve a visit to A&E and admission for a few days. i have changed my diet and even seen a dietitian at the hospital to try and work out what it is thats causing the flare ups.

has anyone got any advice that might help? as i seem to have hit a wall when it comes to the hospital sad

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi, you are young . 1 am a gran, 64 i was diagnosed a few year ago. i find it sad that we suffer but personally cannot give any helpful advice. i moved and changed doctors a year ago and the new gp is not as good as the last. i am suffering at the moment and do understand how you feel,i was told to by my consultant to have antibiobics as soon as a flare up starts and it dose settle down, however when i saw the gp i had to ask for them as they dont give them out untill it hasn't cleared up after a week. unfortunately if i was to wait a week i would probably been in hospital again with tubes down my nose and oxygen and drip. there dosn't seem to be much advice out their and i have seached. i am waiting for an urgent appointment to see my consultant at the moment.

have they said you have a couple of diverticular or multiple. i have servere multiple disease, when mine kicks in nothings works my entire abdomen is in pain effects all the muscles and organs in that area as well

i know i haven't been much help and am sorry for that. but do you not get antibiotics from gp.

hope you will be ok. sometime trying different food. good old english meal fish and veg. chicken and veg. fruit avoid nuts and apparently seeds.

your young do you go out drinking, if so dose this effect it.

• Posted

Hi all, I am not a sufferer but have posted on the IBS forum by mistake. My wife and I are taking a course of "Symprove" which is a probiotic containing four "good bacteria" which I am hoping will improve my wife's DD. I am taking it because I frequently take antibiotics and I am hoping that this is a way to replenish the good bacteria killed by the antibiotics. So far, the jury is out on her condition as she has experienced a big change in toilet behaviour - some bad, some good. Her biggest problem is that she is more constipated than before but I am hoping that this is transitional and will right itself towards the end of the course. I am hoping that posting here will attract others who have tried Symprove and are further along the track than we are. I should point out that, originally, my wife suffered terrible diarrhoea and the freqency of this is (perhaps) less than it was. Here's hoping anyway! The posting on the IBS forum gives much greater detail for anyone interested.
  • Posted

Hi

My husband suffers with Diverticular Disease and swears by symprove. The best course is to take it every morning for a month to reset the bacteria in your gut and then when you have a small flair up take it for a week to kick start everything. You need to have a 'shot' first thing in the morning and then wait 10 minutes before eating or drinking anything else. It is the one thing that works for him. it is expensive however, if you follow the instructions properly and do it for a month you should see results. The best flavour is mango and passion fruit. You can buy it from Symprove, Tesco's or Amazon. Oh an you need to eat a healthy balanced diet, LOL! That's what I keep having to nag him about!

Good luck everyone!

• Posted

I'm a 55-year-old newb here :-). My DD symptoms became acute since my 45th year and apart from the minor flare-up that led to the diagnostic 'flexible' look-see (!)..... I have managed to avoid acute pain in its management (touch wood). Severe discomfort - very often, but I do know the difference. Original treatment was for IBS and included Senna and also Movicol and penultimately, Picolax (polyethylene glycol etc) the latter at levels used in pre-op evacuation. However, once the real diagnosis was determined, I was moved(!) to Bisacodyl. This is more commonly available as 'Dulcolax'. I find this is all I need to manage my week. I can often go a week between a two-tablet, night-time dose and if I time that correctly, I'm only 'unreliable' for the following day - which I try to keep clear. I use the cue that if I miss a day (no movement at all), I will aim to medicate that evening - or the next if inconvenient. This works best (for me) on a four- to eight-day cycle. Any longer and the diverticula clearly get their 'fill' and discomfort levels rocket!

My theory (I'm an engineer, not a medic....) is that pockets are going to fill up. That's what they do! If you eat high insoluble fibre quantities, the physical fibres will choke the diverticula along with everything else, won't they? Therefore my premise is that the main chore is to keep the matter in the gut - and its pockets - on the move. The septic incident is only going to occur if you leave old stuff rotting.

I too like the idea of pro-biotic yoghurts. I use ASDA's own brand line (£1.50 for eight) and that keeps a fresher feel to the alimentary conduit! I do not think - of itself - that it promotes 'throughput', however. It just keeps things healthier in general,, perhaps?

In summary: I can imagine that 'high fibre' is what we should impress on people they get DD. However, a pocket is a pocket. You need to reach inside to empty it! All you can do is hope that the rest of the gut is maintained better by having something to squeeze on, perhaps.

I think that's enough of a two-penny-worth maiden' .....speech!

Cheers,

CauliColon :-(

• Posted

juliajean, don't drink! that is what has contributed to my DD!!

If only i knew then what I know now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.