Can someone help?

Posted , 6 users are following.

How can I tell if I'm taking too high of a dose of my thyroid medication?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I’m sure you’ll get a better answer from some than me but to start off the discussion... you may notice an elevated heart rate, high or higher blood pressure, shortness of breath, chest pain, sweating, extreme case maybe difficulty sleeping due to increased energy. I’ve taken way too much before and didn’t notice any bad symptoms, my blood pressure always remains low, I sleep well, I appreciated what I guessed was more normal energy (oops). I think we’re all different and some people are more sensitive than others. The ideal TSH level varies for some people (per my endocrinologist). I work in healthcare, I’ve met older individuals that years ago were told to test the med and find what works best for them. They typically take too much and shut off their own thyroid production. None of them had fractures due to bone loss, and remained pretty independent and active with aging. So you’ve got to listen to your own body. As long as you are not symptomatic your doctor will continue to fine tune your dosing. Sometimes our thyroid needs change over time due to changes in the level of inflammation in your body (that’s what my endocrinologist told me). Be patient, with any symptoms leave a message with your physician and keep them up to date! Best wishes!
    • Posted

Thank You!! Dr took blood today and is rechecking. I have ALL of the symptoms you described, elevated heart rate, higher blood pressure, shortness of breath, chest pain, and sweating. NOT to mention anxiety through the roof. So tired of feeling this way sad
  • Posted

Another note. Obviously they have to check your TSH level to know for sure. My doctor also checks my free t3 and free t4. I know they say the TSH is slow to respond but I recently found out my TSH was too high (not enough med). Doubled twice over 4 days and my TSH level dropped drastically. So, I’m not so sure it’s as slow to respond as they say. I was checked again a few weeks later (without doubling my med) and it was almost as high as before. Hope that helps a little. If you’re really concerned get a blood test. You can also order one yourself online, and get drawn at certain labs. Believe it’s around $50 or $75 our of pocket if your md refuses. 
  • Posted

Super! Just a few half random questions not knowing your dosage (I get a custom mix btw). Has he advised on how to manage your symptoms in the meantime? To skip or break in half your next dose? I have anxiety and am now able to manage it with magnesium supplementation (depends on your meds if this is okay). Just adding some thoughts or questions to bounce off your doc until results come back! Hang in there, you’ll get it worked out!
    • Posted

I use magnesium because it is a natural calcium channel blocker cause I developed low grade hypertension from the Levothyroxine, but I did see it on the site about someone else suggested magnesium and I not sure why
  • Posted

I am no expert, but I believed I was put on Levothyroxine when I didn't need it all because of the TSH.  I was extremely well feeling and walked 2 miles a day/ 3 days a week. I felt like a race horse on the inside after my first doses and they were low. Essentially I was becoming physically crippled and weakened, that was seen as needing more and in one year I had low grade high BP when I had exceptional BP prior I believe due to the drug ( Mayo Clinic supports my theory). I read on threads women begging for thyroid replacement and damning anyone speaking against control in thyroid replacement. The truth is the TSH is a really poor test because the health community see it as the gold standard and definitive dx tool. It is only one piece of the puzzle. It  identifies some thing needs correction, but it is far too easy to replace and profitable to boot. Your problem could be need for magnesium selenium, or zinc, but these items are cheaper, don't require a prescription, but try and get practitioners to first screen these levels.  Intergrated  practitioners do, but most often these charges are not covered by most, almost all insurance plans. I personally went through this with my mom, so I am not talking off the top of my head. Most health problems we suffer from are related to some type of imbalance in our bodies! We are like fine tuned computers only more amazing. Insurance companies do what they can bill for and doctors sadly practice more of staying employed than healthcare. "Healthcare" has become more of  "Health captive". You are lucky to have found this site. People are generous in sharing, not every one is perfect, but they are more truthful that your PDRs and other drug information sites. I thought I was smart, but I naively got caught up. After over 4 years of an steadily increasing hell I finally did my own research. I started with "class action suits" not to sue, but to get information beyond the highly paid for gloss. I was horrified! It lead me to consumerreportts.org for my alleged problem and that got me here. I felt angry and betrayed cause I had known my doc since he was an intern, but getting better and realizing he is stuck in this ugly system helped me get past it. It think that is why you are seeing in some areas docs moving away from these insurance company organized practices the problem is the cost is prohibitive because of the insurance industry which rakes in a full 50%+ in all monies spent for "healthcare" for their profit.  Health is a precious blessing never hand yourself over completely to anyone think, read, and talk to others. No one person is likely to have all the answers. Be well and God bless you.

• Posted

Low levels of magnesium in the body are associated with depression, anxiety, difficulty for skeletal muscles to relax, hormonal challenges, some sleep problems, low energy. Don’t know if I can answer how from a scientific stand point. Some theories state this deficiency is common in the population. Different forms of magnesium are used for different purposes in the body; I imagine that’s crucial when selecting type of supplement. I had bad side effects from anti anxiety meds. Magnesium has done the trick for me got over 2 years.
  • Posted

You would be getting palpitations - your heart would be missing beats 
    • Posted

Olive everything is interdependent in our bodies and that is why it is hard for anyone to give you a definitive answer. Most people are commenting on their experience. The one important thing I think is important to remember not all sx you feel are necessarily a new entity unto its self. The problem we have in "healthcare" vast- too many doctors don't practice uncovering primary ailments and unbalances in the body and correcting them. Doctors operate using "protocols", directives bought and paid for by the Medical Ass., Big Pharm, , Grandiose labs, and the Insurance Industry. Some help many do more harm than good. Sadly "healthcare " is more a business industry than a caring do no harm entity. I hate very much saying these words because for me it has been a lesson hard learned . Be the captain of your own ship: think, read, and talk to others, not just one person a number of people. Most important "don't live in fear, live in God" it is the very best advice I can give you. About the magnesium thing I understand it affects our parathyroid, but like another contributor I can explain the specifics.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.