Can someone help me please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I'm 33 years old and I just had my heart zapped this week. I never knew I was born with heart problems. Can someone please tell me what some of the symptoms are if I'm not feeling right after two days thank you. They didn't get me the block thing.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, please can you explain by what you meant when you said 'They didn't get me the block thing.''?

What is th enature of your problem? AF Flutter?  Any returning symptoms would surely be the same, or similar, to those that got you into A&E in the 1st place?

• Posted

I never know when I'm having any symptoms with my heart. I was born with it and never knew it till January. I'm in more pain today than yesterday and Wednesday
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth,im a 48 year old male, living in South Australia.

I have had pulpitations and flutters that always seemed to settle down again, for at least the last 20 or so years or so. I became used to this and had an 'It'll be alright' approach to it all.

Late last year i thought i had the flu, or perhaps a virus. During this time, I did get a little bit of discomfort and a tingle down my left arm which only lasted 5-10 seconds and as always, went away. I kept soldiering on ,thinking that it'd all resolve itself. In the end, my chest became rattly and my wife said i was looking grey and called an ambulance (which i thought was a bit over the top!)

The came & hooked me up to an ECG. My heart rate was going between 130-160 beats/min., so they took me to hosptial.

Turns out i had atrial fibrillation and a tachycardia(AKA- fast beating heart) induced cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart).

An angiogram revealed that my left ventricle was severely enlarged & had an ejection fraction of only 25%.  It also showed that i had a moderately leaky mitral valve into the bargain.

I got zapped back into rhythm in mid Jan., but only stayed in rhythm for several days. the only way i knew i had gone out of rhythm was that i began to feel a little bit more tiredd at the end of the day and my blood pressure machine has a function on it that told me i'd gone back into atrial fibrillation. This was confirmed by my cardiologist a couple of days later.

I was put on Amioderone and zapped ain a couple of weeks later, zapped again & have stayed in rythm since. Each time I got zapped, my chest was sore for a couple of days, but apparently this is normal.

A couple of months have gone by & i've made a great recovery and things are almost back to 'normal'.

I guess at the end of the day, it would seem that symtoms can be many and varied, depending on the large variety of types of heart failure that exist. Even the same condition and can vary a lot from person to person.

All I can really suggest is that you listen to what you body is telling you and don't ignore it like I did!

I hope this is of some help?

• Posted

Simon, what is zapped ? Do you mean the paddles OR that awful heart stop drug. I have AF, have Amiodarone and when the AF wont stop, crush a pill  and wash it down, then walk about a bit. 
    • Posted

Hi Jay, yes, I mean the paddles (cardioversion).

Ineresting that you use Amioderone in this way. I currently take two 100mg tablets a day to ensure that I stay in rhythm, but like the idea of only taking it as required, as it's a potentially nasty medication.

Longer term, my cardiologist says he'd like to get me on Sotolol to manage my afib.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, what kind of pain. What symptoms do you have?Did you have cardioversion? I was born with a heart condition soIm very aware of anything happening. I went into Atrial Flutterand had cardioversion, I was a bit uncomfortable for a few days after but it settled. I had ablation two weeks later. Please don't ignore any pain or discomfort. Everyone's symptoms differ, if you have any questions phone your local hospital and ask to speak to a rhythm nurse for advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.