Can someone please explain this?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Whenever I take my blood pressure anything like slouching, talking and moving can raise my blood pressure significantly , like 15-25+ on the systolic and 10-20 on the diastolic. 

My blood pressure ranges from 115-123 over 65-75 but whenever I do anything of the listed above It can be 140/85-90. 

For example this afternoon my blood pressure was 145 over 90 , slouched . The next reading I took with a straight back it immediately drop to 123/79 and the following readings were in that normal ranges as well.

I test this on my girlfriend and sister and their blood pressure did not seem to fluctuate like mines does . 

Is there something going on here ?

Is this normal for blood pressure to fluctuate so greatly just by going from slouching to a straight back?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It would not be surprising to find that a slouching posture impedes some vascular blood flow that correspondingly raises your BP.  After a while, you may justifiably start to wonder if there is anything that you do that doesn't affect ones BP.

but.......

I think that the best help you can be to your doctor (and their diagnosis & treatment) when you are monitoring your own BP is to keep the posture and times of the monitoring consistent, so that they can get an accurate

base line to work with.

• Posted

I have just been reading about the link between bad posture and high blood pressure because my blood pressure has spiked recently and I have a head forward posture which I am trying to correct. I found the following research by Professor Jim Deuchars at Leeds University:

https://www.leeds.ac.uk/news/article/340/how_a_pain_in_the_neck_could_be_bad_for_your_blood_pressure[/b]

I am learning the Alexander Technique to correct my posture and hopefully it will lower my blood pressure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.