Can someone please help, bad reaction from o Amitripyline

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

New here. I was given Amitripyline last Tuesday 10mgs and I started with 5mgs on Tuesday night and took 5mgs on Wednesday night. On Thursday I started I felt anxious on the evening so I took the 10 on Thursday, I should tell you why I was given t. I have migraine associated vertigo, health anxiety and started getting depressions because off the vertigo which I've had for 10 months. Anyway on Friday I had small anxity going all day and I thought it was because I was seeing a new psychologist so maybe I was just anxious. Well on Saturday I had 3 anxiety attacksThen on Sunday after taking it for 5 days I started o have small pani attacks then a hug attack. My hands and legs where shaking, legs were vibrating, head pressure, dizzibess that felt like I was being thrown com side o side and one point I felt like I was upside down When I layed down, my skin was burning and red, my son in law was here and he's a medic he said my pulse was good my color was good and told me to take a Xanax which I did and it calmed me down. He said it sounds like the med has amplified the anxiety and I shouldn't take it again il. Talk o the doc. He said only taking it for 5 days shouldn't cause any withdrawl. So I didn and I last night. My question is has anyone gotten worsening anxiety on the med? To the point of panc attacks?

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

First of all calm down, you are not alone! Before, however, you take any advise online seriously, I would suggest you to speak with your GP, psychiatrist or whatever. This person knows you better and his/her opinion is more valuable in comparison to random people you come across online.

Some of the symptoms you describe can be side effects from amitriptyline. When I took amitriptyline for first time my legs were shaking for about 2 hours. I was drowsy (in fat, I slept for 16 hours) plus a tingling sensation in my hands. These side effects usually go away within a few days (it took me 2 to 3 weeks for my body to get used to the medication and about 1 week for all the serious side effects to disappear). Second, these could be symptoms of your anxiety and might have nothing to do with the medication. I cannot know for sure.

Of course, anxiety can become worse during the first days of your medication. Usually the leaflet of your perscription says that there is a possibility for your anxiety or depression to worsen when first starting antidepressants since these medicines all take time to work, usually about two to four weeks. I would not, nonetheless, stop it. 10mg is too low for anxiety. Usually you will need higher doses of amitriptyline but it is normal for doctors to put you on low doses initially. Please, DON'T increase the dose by yourself. You are still in a testing period. If I was you I would give it a little more time, or I would speak to my GP and ask him/her to change the medicine. Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant and these type of antidepressants have a lot of side effects. You could try fluoxetine or something else. I like amitriptyline since I had issues with insomnia. But insomnia was not an issue I would tell my GP to give me something else. Of course, DON'T buy anything online. Always consult your doctor.

• Posted

Thanks. I can't my doc until tomorrow . I didn't take it last night

I've only been on it for days so I've had a total of 40mgs on that time, o don't think there wool be withdrawl stopping it now. I've tried other meds years ago like Paxil, celexa, Prozac and had awful side effects. I will speak to the doc but I don't think I'll be taking this again. I think therapy is going to be my only option for my anxiety and fears.

Thank you for replying

• Posted

I am not sure if you will have withdrawal symptoms or not and how serious it would be. I wouldn't stop anything without consulting my doctor.

But yes, a psychotherapy will be the best option for anxiety and fears. Usually a combination of medicines and psychotherapy works better.

• Posted

Don't worry patty. It can take a few weeks to get used to amitriptyline. It took me 3 months of walking like a zombie before it kicked in. Just give it time.
    • Posted

I stopped it, i didn't take it last night. I've only taken it for 5 days and figured there wouldn't be any withdrawl after a short time on it. I don't think o can't take the med. it scares me to death the attack. I actually took my last pill Saturday night. So it's been 41 hours since last pill. I thought I was going to do okay on it but the anxiety started and got worse. From what I've read it takes months to get into the system and cause withdrawl coming off of.

I'm glad it worked for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.