Can someone please help me with an old injury/issue I can’t seem to get past!!

Posted , 1 user is following.

So years ago when I was around 20, (I’m 28 now) I became obsessed with weightlifting and building muscle with a strict diet. I have pretty good genetics and within a year or so I gained a significant amount of size and strength going from 174 lbs to 196 lbs. I went from barely being able to bench 225 1x to doing it 16x. But Occasionally throughout my journey, I’d get this pretty bad painful and burning feeling in my right shoulder usually towards the last set or two of seated dumbbell shoulders presses or pretty much any shoulder exercise after that. My dumb ego of course would just ignore it cause I felt I “needed” to make sure I got those lifts in and didn’t know any better. So I continued to workout daily lifting heavy ignoring the occasional pain that would range from minor to pretty intense. I most likely just continued injuring the shoulder worse and worse And then one day my muscles just seemed to completely stop working.

What I mean by that is, for example, id go from benching 225 16x one night, or seated dumbbell presses with 75lbs 10x to barely being able to do it a few times the next morning. I was freaking out and then realized that mostly every single type of lift felt just very off. It was as if everything was giving out with this strange cramp like fatigue. And it Wasn’t your usual burning feeling or normal type of fatigue you’d get from a normal weight lifting workout, this was something different and It was really stressing me out. I’d even do bicep curls and my arms would give out. After a few reps of tricep extensions with the cable, my arms would fatigue and give out. The biceps would also feel just very weak like they were even cramping as i try to push through a curl, which they never did before or felt anything like that. I’d do flat dumbbell presses with a normal warm up weight and my arms and would give out. While dealing with this unknown issues, I also noticed that I couldn’t flex my pecs and make them "solid" anymore like i used to. Basically as i tried to make my pectorals contract, they would end up with this cramping feeling and fatigue out. All the new real strength I gained throughout the last year would not be there anymore whenever I’d do any type of lift, even in some back exercises, and this all happened over night. It was such a depressing feeling because I felt I’m losing everything I worked and i didn’t have an exact answer why. I didn’t know if was even from my shoulder pain cause I didn’t understand why all my other muscles are giving out and I’d be an idiot on webmd looking into the worse of the worse thinking I had nerve damage or pinched nerves. And At the time I didn’t even have health insurance so I couldn’t really go get it treated or figured out. I thought it would hopefully resolve and go back to normal but unfortunately it never did and it sucked so damm bad. I ended up losing all my size and strength. I eventually accepted it and Only thing I could do was just get real cut with cardio and diet which isn’t realistic year round or exciting. I’ve tried multiple times throughout the years to get back into the gym and see if my body reacts like that to lifts and unfortunately they still would with most lifts within the second or third set. I could never get motivated anymore and I just want to get a chance to lift again and put on muscle mass, but do it safe and correct this time. It’s been extremely hard to be motivated when everything gives out with normal weight I used to easily do.

So my question is, Has anyone ever experienced anything like this and if so, were you able to recover from this? Doing a bunch of research I believe why all the muscles may have given out was because I tore one of the 4 rotator cuffs , most likely the Supraspinatus rotator cuff, in my right shoulder and everything is all somewhat connected and when I possibly tore my rotator cuff, all the other areas like arms and chest became weak and would give out because they would try to make up for what the shoulder muscles should be doing and just end up fatiguing and giving out. But I’m no doctor, and have no clue. Also I know most of you are just going to say go to a doctor, so fortunately I finally have good insurance and want to look into this and will be seeing an orthopedic on Friday. But I would also like to hear from others

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.