can someone relate

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi i been told i have ddd in l4/l5 disc 2 yrs ago no pain killers physio epidurals have worked , i have been getting pain in hip bum allway down my leg since day one of the accident, the pain as got worse and never gone away at all , alls i did was bend and pic up my sons weights and my back went after 2 wks of the bk pain it started to effect my hip and leg , but since the epidural the pain as got worse i have had cramping muscle stiffness and pinsn needles and numbness all way to my foot in my bad side but in the last 2 hours for some reason ,i started getting the cramping stiffness numbness in my leg and foot on my good side can anyone explain why, this is getting beyond a joke Thanx 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi  Ann go to pain management dont even think of surgery i had exactly the same symptoms as you.i had surgery twice now i have been told i have failed back surgery and it has ruined my life the pain is 10 times worse after surgery. 
    • Posted

Hi Peter Iam bk seeing um in August they don't seem be helping me though the pains just getting worse the painkillers nerve blockers physio n epidural was not changing the pain in anyway x

• Posted

Hi Ann have tried a tens machine i have had some relief from mine
  • Posted

I currently have DDD in L3, L4 & L5 with a buldge on L5 S1, I've had back trouble since I was sixteen so I think I've tried just about everything and I've also been worse than I am now. I've had all the NHS treatments on offer including surgery, plus I've done the daft alternative stuff too. All the problems I've had have caused the early onset of DDD, which you will probably know is often a natural "old age" progressive problem - that's not good when you're forty!

I, like you, have found that treatment-wise nothing has helped, my surgery worked at that moment in time as I had popped three discs in one go and had foot drop too, had I not had the surgery, my foot would have been dragged along with me for the rest of my days! The surgery worked, however, with my back trouble, I knew it wouldn't cure for good and sure enough, less than a year later, same issue BUT on the other side. I said no to the surgery as I knew it was a waste of time. It's all blah, blah, blah now. Only more invasive surgery is my next joker card, obviously I'm fighting that one.

I've recently had the Facet Joint Injections which were useless as usual, they might help you as it's targeted, but to be honest, with DDD I would be surprised if they did anything - sorry for sounding negative!

Because you favour your (previous) healthy side, you knock your entire posture severely which will shift your pain around, I get the hip, groin, bottom to the foot etc. problems and sometimes the cramps are ridiculous, or they were until I started shifting myself around from head to toe. I have a monkey bar which is great for stretching and I've started with basic Gyrokinesis, this has been my saviour. I've knocked my entire body out of line, and some days it would feel like my hips were out of joint, but since I've been doing my little moves, I'm getting next to nothing in comparison to previous pain. It killed me some days' but little and often was my key.

Try to move as much as you can, I know only too well it will hurt, but it's been worth it for me. The key with your situation is to hold your condition and relieve your pain, you don't cure DDD, you get surgery!! If like me you would rather not go down the surgery route, you need to push yourself forward, as the NHS is not your answer, you are.

Getting problems on your good side is normal because you are way out of balance, it's a joke isn't it, I'm with you with that but I think you will move slightly better if you can strengthen your entire body rather than just your core.

We are a right pair aren't we? Haha

Take good care x

• Posted

Hi I to av the bulge on l4 I have been doin stretching exercise on my legs and core it does hurt at first and it seems to relieve the stiffness n cramping and I have kept riding my bbike but that is getting a bit much.  I keep moving no matter what pain as I have 3 kids but I rest when I have too but I've noticed the mobility side is slot worse and Ian a lot slower.it funny as I have to stop every so often too stretch my leg coz of the cramping. I have thought about surgery I wish they would take um out sometimes n as for the monkey bar I'll try me sons thanks for the advice, keep at it good Luck x

• Posted

Hello ..

I m going through the same situation as you . I have been doing streching excercise and back strengthening excercise since when i m diagnosed with l5 s1 disc herniation. I have restrained my self from bending forward which has help me in avaoding the pain but still though on some occasion its hurts so badly that i have to limb......aniway hope u ll get fyn ......tc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.