Can someone tell me a good story?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have posted alot here these last couple of days and I am sure some of you know what my issues are so I won't need to explain myself. I basically want to know is there any good stories out there and when I mean good I mean happy stories that you know. True stories please. I am asking this because I hear so many terrible things happen to people it's so sad and frankly makes me depressed and very high strung on anxiety cause sure enough I think these terrible things will happen to me too. I have heard of young people my age perfectly healthy with good eating habits and exercise having heart attacks, strokes, blood clots, cancer, diseses etc. The end of these stories always lead into these people dying and i just dont understand it. I just think well I eat healthy and exercise could these terrible things happen to me too? It scares me so much it's seriously to a point where I can't hear anymore sad stories. So anyone please have you heard terrible things happen to people you may know or maybe to you and they fought through it or by a miracle they survived?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi salsagirl..  well, your name bought a smile to my face 'love it'.. lol  Try not to get bogged down through reading peoples experiences or questions..  Most people need a little support and its healthy to vent out worries, concerns, burdens & experiences..  So many people have a great need to ask for guidance or advice in order for them to find a solution that they them selves cannot see.. Usually people are most grateful & appreciate helpful support.  With good & positive output brings a smile to all who have been involved.. When you are feeling low, reading other peoples burdens is no 'pick-me-up' so its best to avoid reading the threads until you feel confident/comfortable that what you read will not affect your own well being..  Search out the net for a million other things that will inspire you in many ways.  The choices are really endless, find happy things & perhaps share your findings on here so that a smile can be passed on.. BIG HUGS xx       ps;  loads of smiles to you salsagirl 

• Posted

Hi Salsagirl!  I agree with Deb that there are lots of good sources out there where you can hear about many people with happy stories and even some who overcome tough situations with great results.  Every day, there are positive things happening, people doing really great things, bringing good to the world.  Lots of people are helping each other, too, to get to better places in their lives.  I understand how you feel as I struggle with health anxiety, but I've received good results twice this year, after a surgery in April and then again yesterday after a test, with both doctors smiling at me as they came in to deliver their news!  I am excited!  We do the best we can in life, and many good things happen.  Take care of yourself, and know that much good can come to you.

• Posted

I'd also like happy stories or no story at all. Since the end of last year all I've been hearing about is people dying, young people dying of gruesome illnesses. It made me worry and Panic so much now I have Depression, Anxiety and quite possibly Borderline personality disorder!

I've changed a few things in my life, I don't watch the news bcuz it's mostly sad stuff. When I watch tv it's usually on demand, that way I can escape the cancer commercials and ads with medications that have tons of frightening side effects.

I am not on ALL the most popular social media sites as that leaves me open to all sorts of news from around the world. Facebook&Instagram only....n I use Whatsapp to text. I've changed the settings to my fb timeline, I had over 400 'friends' now I have like 100 which is still too damn much. I do not follow most of my fb friends bcuz I don't want everything they post to be visible to me. It happened before n set off my anxiety, so these days I follow a few pple n a few of my favorite authors. I'm not on Snapchat, Tumblr or any of the many others.

I'm still a young-ish person (turned 29 two weeks ago)and I am still hip to what's going on HOWEVER I have become socially withdrawn. So I don't think I'm missing anything by not being on over half a dozen social media sites.

These are some of the things I do to try and keep my anxiety in check.

• Posted

Nattalie, I agree with you about limiting exposure to these things, especially disease and medication commercials.  Also, I stopped using Facebook last year.  You are right, these are things we can do to keep our anxiety in check.  I track down good news and stories to remind myself that people are doing good things in the world.  Having an anxiety disorder is hard enough without adding in all the bad media.  Take care.
    • Posted

I've considered getting rid of Facebook several times, perhaps I will someday. But for now I heavily filter what I see on there.

I've also considered cancelling dating site accounts. Between 2014 and now I've had numerous heartbreaks, from 'relationships' that didn't make it past the 8 week mark. I think my many mental issues have contributed largely to my inability to have lasting relationships. Also my past four exes I all met online, I'm done with that. I think I should focus on therapy and my hobbies and work. Depression, anxiety, abandonment issues and extreme loneliness are a very bad mix.

I don't get out much so the likelihood of me meeting someone the normal way (bumping shopping carts in the cereal isle, haha) is slim to none. Don't know why I'm telling you this, guess I don't always have people to talk to.

• Posted

That sounds like a good approach, focusing on therapy as well as meaningful work and hobbies.  That's a plan I want to follow, too.  I got out of a toxic friendship last year with a person who was very controlling and manipulative, and that led to giving up Facebook.  I felt kind of guilty at first, but once I understood how bad it really was, it was easy to let go.  Being alone isn't always easy, but I don't miss having to answer to that person.

• Posted

Up until around age 27 relationships really didn't matter to me. It's funny how the moment I started noticing that I've never been serious with anyone I started searching for it. The moment I realized I wanted to date seriously that's when it started becoming impossible. That's when it started hurting. I sometimes don't think sexual orientation plays a role but as a gay person it has been really haRd for me. Meeting women is not the same as meeting men, men are everywhere....straight men that is. It usually take awhile to figure out a woman's orientation n that makes everything abit more complicated. I avoid clubs and anyway most of the people u meet in clubs aren't relationship material anyway...and I no longer do casual sex. So I'm screwedsmile

• Posted

I would say be patient with yourself.  Relationships involve so many factors, including orientation.  It is worth taking your time to find a deserving partner. My sister married the only man she ever dated and it ended in a complicated  divorce.  She wishes she'd dated more and paid more attention to her doubts about him at the time.  Getting to know a person can be hard, for sure, with so much to consider.

• Posted

You have gotten a lot of excellent advice here. I am familiar with the postings of these responders, and am impressed with their insights. I also, do not watch the news, mute commercials on health issues, etc. When I was diagnosed, years ago, with a really bad, supposedly fatal disease, the very first thing I did was cut out as much negative input as possible. Negative friends went bye bye, no watching news, no discussion of my challenge around me or in my house, even family was warned that any calls that were not up (rather than down, like oh poor you) would be hung up on. That was my first step in finding my own recovery, as medical had given up on me...I didn't give up on me. Here I am, 40 years after my "death date."

Elizabeth, Natalie and Deb are right, there are plenty of positive things our there, especially now that we have the net. We tend to get what we look for, sooooo, what are you going to look for Salsagirllol

You looked here and you found a lot of positive, optimistic input. Really monitor what you let in. That includes people you hang with. Hang in there, all is well, really it is.

• Posted

Wow thank you all so much everyone for your advice. You all made very good points and yes I think I'm going to start doing that avoiding anything bad or negative things that make me sick. If it means getting rid of bad friends, skipping sad commercials and reading only good stories then that it's how it should be. I am only going to do things I like and enjoy and see how I do.

Nattalie I'm sorry to hear and I feel for you I get the loneliness for sure and I was there at some point it's tuff. You are right though concentrate on yourself and take care of yourself right now. The right person will show up when you least expect it. ??

Also I found a really inspiring story on YouTube the name if the video is called "Kris Carr cancer story" look it up it's a very inspiring story! It's sad that it happened but she shares her journey and how she had a life or death situation and she made it through.

• Posted

Thats the way gorgeous gal.. Im so impressed that you are looking ahead 'FANTASTIC'    You have been an inspiration to my day hun..  Going to check out your Kris Carr cancer story 'THANK YOU' for sharing biggrin xxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.