Can someone tell me if this sounds like shingles in the mouth please?!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

About 4 weeks ago I started to feel very tired/exhausted. I was under a lot of stress also. Around the same time my tongue and way back of my Throat started to burn and then the burn intensified over the next couple of weeks. Also I continued to feel very tired and developed a low grade fever. About a little over a week ago (2.5 to 3 weeks in with this burning tongue) I developed a bunch of blisters type ulcers in a line on the side of my tongue. Only on the right side of the tongue. At around that tome when the blister/sore got very big, I was put on Valtrex 1000mg 3x/day   

I had shingles under my armpit 5 years ago on the same side. Does this sound like shingles to you all??? I'm in my 4th week of this. Please someone let me know. 

Also is burning pain on tongue and in mouth associated with shingles of the mouth?? 

Please provide insight. Thank you!!!

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Amy,

I am unaware of actual damage to teeth by the Herpes Zoster-Shingles virus. The problem with any viral infection is a secondary bacterial infection, and I certainly had a severe bacterial Otitis Media with my Shingles in my right ear. That is why you need to see the dentist as the virus makes the tissue more susceptible to bacterial infections.

Amy,

It is ok to ask questions...

I am very happy to help you and others.

Let me know how you do.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry! 

I hope you are doing well. I haven't written in a little bit because I was feeling better. Now the last few days I have felt burning again and pain in my tongue/mouth and noticed a little blister right where the last rash/lesion was. In the same exact spot!!

Could this be a reoccurrence in only like a week and half of the rash clearing up? Or did the rash just not completely die off and this is just the last of it?  I have never heard that you could have back to back shingles within a week and half of each other. This is so strange and discouraging. I thought I was getting better. 

If this can be a reoccurrence after just having it a week and half ago on my tongue do I start Valtrex again? I'm so confused. 

Please provide an knowledge. I would so appreciate it again!

Thank you,

Amy 

• Posted

Amy,

You can have Shingles that never truly was healed, and you can have recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles. I am living proof.

Do you have IBS, Crohns Disease, UC? Are you immunocompromised, have SLE?

I would ask your Physician for Famciclovir rather than Valcyclovir.

Were your lesions one-sided in your mouth? Did they scab over? Did you have a headache, aches and pains, swollen lymph nodes, chills and sweats, fatigue and exhaustion with the mouth sores? Otherwise, you need to think of Aphthous Ulcers.

Best regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry,

Would they be, in your opinion reoccurring afternoon 1.5 weeks of just getting over the rash?

Also, why do you recommend the other antiviral over Valtrex? That is so interesting. I throught Valtrex was the best. 

How often do you get your shingles outbreak? Does it help you since you started the lysine diet?

Thank you!

Amy 

• Posted

Amy,

Valcyclovir is based on the oldest antiviral, Acyclovir. Varicella can be resistant to Acyclovir, and for some individuals, Valcyclovir. Valcyclovir does not help me at all.

Famciclovir is the newest of the three, and has a different chemical structure, and is the most efficacious of the three. Valtrex is pretty good, but as you had another rash 1-1/2 weeks after the last one, either your last illness had not cleared, or you had a recurring episode. Either way, you need to be on a different antiviral, for a period of 10 days to 2 weeks, this time.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Amy

I found your initial post...it sounds like Shingles, not Aphthous Ulcers...sorry for bringing that up!

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you so much Merry!!! I will try the  Famciclovir!! 

Also, thank you for the announcement of the new vaccine! That is so exciting! I wonder if it will be offered to someone under 50, as I am under 50. Also I wonder if it would be effective if you already had shingles. I hope!

• Posted

Amy,

I doubt if insurance will cover the cost of the Shringrix if you are under 50 years old. They refused coverage to me for Zostavax.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello - I've been desperately searching on line for almost a week, trying to get answers.  So far, nothing seems to fit except for shingles in my mouth!  Last Sunday I was having bad pain in an upper molar and assumed it was a infected or abscessed tooth.  Then the tooth and gums behind the tooth started tingling and throbbing.  Monday I went to an oral surgeon who I've seen over the years.  He took one of those full mouth X-rays, and told my teeth looked fine.  He gave me an oral rinse called Peridot (or something like that?) and told me I'd be fine.  Unfortunately, he was wrong.  The following day the gum behind the tooth came red and sore and then began to spread in a line, behind all the upper teeth on one side, plus bad pain on the roof of the mouth to that one side.  I assumed I had canker sores, but obviously I was wrong.  I should have gone to a doctor or another dentist, but I didn't.  It is now Saturday, and I am in horrible pain.  I hate to go to urgent care, but I will probably have to do it.  Does this sound like Shingles or could it be oral herpes??  Why is this so hard to diagnose?  Is it too late for me to take any of the antivirals?  Sites online say that shingles inside the mouth is extremely rare.  Is this true?  Thank you for any help or advice.  

• Posted

Yes I think it sounds like shingles in the mouth. From what Merry (who has been so extremely helpful to me) said on this forum, it doesn't even need to present as a rash always. It can be just pain. Mine started 7 weeks ago as burning in my mouth and tongue. I had a tooth ache on the same side a couple weeks before the burning. This was all mostly on the right side. My rash didn't even come until 3 weeks after that and it was on my tongue. I was so much pain. It was unreal. I still have little

bits of pain during the day but thank God, it is more bearable. I was prescribed antivirals. I got on antivirals too late but from what people said on here it's better to get on them late than never. I would definitely go to Urgent Care and YOU TELL THEM (because they won't believe you that shingles can happen in the mouth) , that you need an antiviral for shingles. It can and it has happened in the mouth. Please get the antiviral and pain medicine if needed. Cold foods helped me and staying away from anything sugary, acidic, or spicy for weeks. REST, REST, REST and avoid stress if possible.  Let the mouth rest as much as you can. And also yourself get plenty of rest and water. 

I thank God for leading me to this forum and specifically for Merry and others on here. It has been a blessing. 

I hope this helps you and that you feel better. smile

• Posted

Hi Amy - Thank you so much for responding to my desperate message. Last night i didn't sleep at all, the pain was so bad.  I hadn't been able to get a good look at the roof of my mouth and behind my upper molars.  Finally this morning, I went outside on the deck with two magnifying mirrors, and I guess the sun was in just the right place, because I was at last able to see the ugly mess in my mouth!  It was almost a shock, it looked so bad!  The bad side had an irregularly shaped  large white sore, rimmed with a bright red line.  The rest of the area was lighter red, and behind my upper teeth was a line of bubble looking white blisters.  The only reason i'm going into so much gross detail, is that I immediately recognized it from a color slide that i had seen online.  It was a website that was explaining how to tell the difference between canker sores and herpes lesions.  I had also seen a picture of oral shingles, and I knew right away, that mine was definitely not shingles.  I called my oral surgeon, and although it was Saturday, he met me at the office, and diagnosed my problem as herpes virus. 

I was totally stunned. I have never had herpes in my life, and it's been a long life!  I am now 83 years old!  He told me that  people can get herpes outbreak from emotional stress, or trauma to the teeth. Of course it has to be lurking in your system, just like the shingles/chicken pox virus. I have had three deaths in my family during the past month, so maybe that triggered it?  If you're interested in looking at the web site that shows the pictures of Canker vs. Herpes, let me know, and i'll copy and paste it here tomorrow.

• Posted

After searching the internet, I came across this forum. I believe I also have shingle in the mouth. Started 10 months ago...lips tingling which lead to tongue burning, roof of mouth & teeth ache. Severe headaches. At the same time I was dealing with sinus infection. Also developed a small rash around my eye. Went to dentist, urgent care & primary physician. Dentist took xrays with no answer. Urgent care & physician put me on antibiotics & steroids...with no relief. Went to dermatologist for the rash...he also had no answer but to put hydrocortisone on it. It was intense. Went back to Dr again...he had a CT scan ordered...assuming is was all sinus related. Referred me to an ENT, where he decided I had a deviated septum & sinus issues...had surgery to repair the deviated septum & cleaned out my sinuses. This did nothing!...except cost me a bunch of money & more pain! Finally my husband found something online that made us believe it could have been shingles. All the symptoms align. Looking back I recall one of the many times I looked in my mouth figuring it had to be red & swollen (but never was)...except the one time I recall seeing a line of small white blisters in a cluster. I didn't tell the Dr just because it was gone in like 2 days. I wish I had mentioned that...I didn't put 2 + 2 together. I missed my window for antivirals since it kept being misdiagnosed. Now 10 months later, he has put me on Gabapentin (which I hated! & stopped taking) and now amitripyline. That's not as bad as the gabapentin, but I'd still like to get off it. Dr says I am dealing with PHN. I am also taking a nerve supplement (high B vitamin) which I think might be helping. Every once in a while I get a day of little to no pain & then wham, its all back & my whole mouth with be on fire! It can be maddening at times. I saw that your post is from like 6 years ago....can you tell me how long your pain/shingles lasted? I'm coming up on a year now & am so discouraged. Thanks for any info!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.