Can stress make make your pain worse?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I don't feel stressed but there is a stressful situation happening at work and I knew about it coming about 3 weeks ago. I had got down to 12mg but the pain in my shoulders and upper back increased. I went up to 13mg and no change so have jumped back to 15mg yesterday. Not really feeling any different. I was good at 15mg so what do I do? How long do I give it before increasing again? My husband wants me to stop stressing as he is sure this is why the pain is worse. How can you stop when in my head I am fine but do sort of feel that  frustratingly he may be right. He is suggesting that I think about leaving work if this is what it is doing to me but I love what I do. It is not terrible just uncomfortable!   

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I admire you enormously coping with PMR and steroids whilst still working. One of the best pieces of advice I was given to help cope with stress at work was to park the problem on the doorstep and pick it up gain only when you go back into work. I also found helpful the mantras that you cannot manage other peoples emotions or anything that you do not control  -  only your own reaction to the situation. Mind tricks I know but they do help. Others are better qualified to help on dosage but hope this helps with work situation. Wishing very much that you are able to see this through.
  • Posted

Stress does influence pain!  If there is a particular problem at work up your pred even more for a few days otherwise you might have a flare and that would knock you back even further.  When you feel you can cope easier you can go back to your old dose.
    • Posted

I am sure that the stress from work or any other situation is a major cause of pain and feeling poorly....  fatigue is another major cause of set backs in the process and  only now am I beginning to understand this .....  after 3 years of pmr and working as usual I am torn between wanting to stop and wanting to continue having an income!   I wonder for how long one can one remain at the temporarily raised dosage without having to begin the tapering process again from the raised dosage instead of from the former dosage?   
    • Posted

Good question Ricky! When and how do you taper from a raised dosage? It would be good to hear from those that have done it. 
    • Posted

How long can you remain at a temporarily increased level - about a week to 10 days is probably about the limit for easy return to the former dose. It does depend a bit on the level and the amount of increase. Often you can get back in a few steps that are larger than you would usually use.
    • Posted

yes there is a particular problem but I am annoyed that this is knocking me. I feel I can get through this but unfortunately I do feel that it was all brought on by the situation. I stabilised when the pressure was off but it has all come back when it raised it's ugly head again. 

• Posted

Thanks Eileen... I have just seen your response.wish I had known that after my last flare a year ago...it would have saved me a year of tapering slowly!

But now in the midst of a new flare I will handle things differently.      

• Posted

It is quite possible that upper back/neck area are tight because of stress. I don't know how do you feel about exercise, but this is one way to release tension. Or any physical activity that would get the blood going and wash away tension. Alternative is good massage in the area where you feel  muscles are tight.  Ultimately any activity that will get your mind off the main worry.

• Posted

Exercise is great! I just need to get over the tiredness to make myself go to the gym. Need to get my head in the right place. 
    • Posted

Elizabeth...for some people (myself included) the gym is the least attractive exercise option!  In PMR movement is important...but we don't have to sweat!  How about feldenkrais and , warm water pool walking, both of which enable gentle movement without stress,  noise  and competition.

just a thought

• Posted

I am not talking about heavy stuff... Start small... like walks around the neighborhood.  I, for example, walk my dog 3x a day for 20min-30 min each time. I casually stop at the playground and use it to stretch ( which is just as important with PMR). later on, when you feel more energetic, you can try something more adventures biggrin. Just always start new activity slow and give it some time, it will become easier.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying Nick. Yes I try and go to the gym but sometimes after work I am just shattered. I need to be in the right head space or decided before I leave the house in the morning that I will go to the gym. Otherwise it is head straight home, dinner, couch and bed. Not very healthy really smile 

Feeling a lot better the last couple of days so hopefully it was just a blip and I am back on track again. 

• Posted

No - that's the point: NOT the gym necessarily. Walk part of the journey to or from work. The gym needs special arrangements - walking and the stairs instead of the lift doesn't.

• Posted

Yes I hear you Eileen smile I always walk the stairs but my head says that is not enough...

Glad to be feeling a little better smile  

• Posted

I'm on holiday right now so not able to follow my usual exercise routine. Have found that even popping out for a few minutes to walk when host household is quiet has helped me keep up the step count. Right now my daughter and partner are watching a horrible psychological crime drama, don't want those things in my head, so off for a stroll in the fresh, autumn air.... ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.