Can't afford PPI meds after years of taking

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone. So long story short I'm 23. I had my galbladder out 2 years ago and ever since then I've been taking lansoprazole 30mg daily. I recently lost my health benefits at work and cant afford my meds anymore. I've read horror stories about coming off this stuff cold turkey after taking it for years. I can still buy it but its very expensive for me. As it is I've purchased enough to last me the next 3 days but if I buy any more I won't be able to make rent. What should I do?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Why did you have them - was it for relief of reflux or because of something like barrett's oesophagus or an ulcer? If the latter things, you really need to speak to a doctor about coming off the meds first. I appreciate this may not be easy without the health cover.

?You would have to wean off these meds gradually if possible. It will cause rebound reflux so in between stretching out and reducing the doses you may need to add in other anti reflux meds from a pharmacy - maybe speak to the pharmacist?

I'm not qualified to advise you what to do for your circumstances, but I stopped taking these sorts of meds as they gave me severe stomach pains and they can have other side effects, though some people are required to take them for ulcers and barretts.

• Posted

really it was just relief for severe reflux. I was able to buy another 7 capsules but that's only because my friends/family pitched in. I'm planning on specing them out a few days each. My big concern is making sure coming off them wont post a serious threat to my health. 

• Posted

DouglasM,

?I had to look up what PPI's were.  I'm not sure what the side affects are, but you can take 1 tsp of baking soda in a glass of water to alleviate excess acid and acid reflux.  Another thing to consider is staying on a low fat - alkaline diet. (nothing high in fat and nothing acidic.)  Drink a lot of water to keep the acid levels in the stomach down.  Also, do not lie down right after eating. 

?You can contact your  county to see if you are elligible for insurance aid.  That will help pay for your medication and doctor visits.    I hope this helps. 

• Posted

not sure where you are but there are other drugs that do the same job. I buy omeprazole at Costco and it's about $15 for 42 20mg pills.

You can also take famotidine or ranitidine.

Try not to eat after a certain time. Keep your head raised when sleeping.

Next time you're insured get an endoscopy to see if it's a hiatal hernia causing the reflux. That's an easy fix surgically.

• Posted

TN. I used to take omeprazole but they switched me to lansaprozole after omeprazole caused strange effects. Slurred speech, dizzyness, and others. I had an endoscopy a year ago but they didn't find anything.

• Posted

Prevacid is OTC lansaprozole.. Is it available in your area? Here in the US it looks like it's a little less than $25 for 42 pills (15mg/pill). It is a pain to go cold turkey, but it's doable - it's best to wean yourself off if you can.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.