Can't afford the doctor but I'm so much pain it hurts to work...

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 19 and have had HS for 9 years. Until 2 years ago, none of my doctors could figure out what it was and the doctor that diagnosed me won't refer me to a dermatologist and has given me a boatload of antibiotics that don't work. Luckily, my grandmother is a nurse and has connections so she got the number of a good dermatologist. Problem is, I cannot afford to go right now but I just had a lesion burst and it looks like it needs a stitch or two, maybe not because I freak out at the littlest things. I've found that in the past warm/hot showers/baths helped with the lesions. Since I started my new job I haven't been able to keep the lesions from hurting or leaking and even my fiancé has said something about it. I say I eat pretty decently. Can anyone think of anything that I can do until I can go to the dermatologist? I would really appreciate it.

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

  • Posted

    I've been told to try and cut out a few things from my diet. Dairy is one but I can't not have dairy, I like my milk and cheese too much! I've been told turmeric helps too, I have a son has I can do it but you can get tuneric tablets if you want smile sorry I'm not too helpful I was only diagnosed this year but it's just a horrible thing to have! Hope you work something out!

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    hello dear,

    personally, i wouldn't waste your time on a dermatologist. the only thing they can do is throw more antibiotics at you. i had two incision and drainages done by a dermatologist (not sure where you live but i didn't ever actually see a derm, but their physicians assistants), that got infected and ended up causing more harm than good, and a lot more money than I'd care to spend. not that everyone has such experiences.

    you need to speak with a surgeon. i have spoken with numerous doctors and surgeons and the common agreement between them seemed as if dermatologists don't actually do much. the antibiotics can work on secondary infections, but HS is not an infection itself. it's an auto immune problem.

    you may want to find a physician that can refer you to a surgeon. they do incision and drainages much better. but even then, it's difficult to say what will be achieved. i've had two surgeries this year and still live with this.

    i keep saying it and i can't say it enough. do an elimination diet. cut out alcohol, dairy, gluten, and nightshades for as long as you can, ideally 90 days. my wounds saw incredible improvement with diet clean up. i flare up when i ovulate (use a period tracker app on your phone and you'd be surprised to see the pattern of your symptoms), but also have extreme reactions when i consume gluten. nightshade food group is an interesting one and i think i do have sensitivity. l bfi had peanuts the other day and got a reaction. not sure if i have a nut allergy but it could also just have been produced in a factory in close quarters with wheat products.

    I'd say an allergy test would be a good place to start. i can't afford one so i have been doing it on my own, keeping constant track of my symptoms, food, mood. mine comes on when i get stressed a lot worse.

    if you smoke, quit. tobacco is not only a nightshade but cutting off oxygen to your cells like smoking does , makes it even worse.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Usually there isnt a need for stitches, But if you can bandage it that will help, keeping it clean and dry go a long ways for healing. Try to pick up some non-stick gauze. Clean it with non-fragranted soap and pat dry. teatree oil helps sap out the drainage. you may want to dilute it if it burns. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Try to cut out dairy. If your condition is linked to it, then you will see an improvement in a week, possibly less. It's worth trying it just to see. There are things you can eat/drink instead of dairy, and trying it for a week or 2 won't harm your calcium levels. Calcium is in plenty of non dairy foods, such as green leafy vegetables, and if you are worried you can take a supplement. Give it a go, you may get a surprise at the relief you get from the HS symptoms.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up