Can't breathe without sudafed nasal spray

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi!

I've been using sudafed spray (for blocked nose) for a couple of years. I know I shouldn't use it for more than a few days, and I've seen my GP about this, but I've tried so many other sprays and nothing else seems to help. My nose gets completely blocked and I can't breathe through my nose without the spray!

I saw an ENT who said that I've got a slightly narrow air passage but not narrow enough to have the surgery. He couldn't find any other problems and suggested a spray called Dymista. I've tried this and this doesn't seem to work for me either.

I'm desperate to try something else as I'm worried about other health problems that continuous use of Sudafed could have. Does anyone know of any?

Thanks so much in advance

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lizzy.i too have the same problem as you.the only spray that works for me is anything with oxymetazomine/xzylometazomine.otrivine is great but shop own brands are just as good.once again though not meant for long term use but what do you do when you can't breathe? I found out I was dehydrated which made my nasal congestion worse so been drinking lots of water which has really helped.it got that I was using a whole spray per day! Symptoms are improved.stay hydrated.x

• Posted

Hi! I try and drink around 2-3 litres a day, and unfortunately it makes no difference for me. No idea what I'm supposed to do apart from using this spray which is not supposed to be used for longer than 3 days!

• Posted

I know not supposed to use longer than 3 days but it's only one that works for me.ive been using nasal sprays for 30 plus years and done me no harm!

• Posted

Xlear all natural. Cvs walgreens walmart etc.  

Spray in each nostril then HANG HeAD UPSIDE DOWN.  Then Come up. Do not blow your nose.  Gently blow in to a tissue.  Very gently just to let out mucus a little at a time.   If u blow forcefully your turbinates swell causing further blockage.  

Do 3x

Katharine

• Posted

Hi! I'm in the UK so can't get that specific make easily, but thank you anyway!

• Posted

Just wondering if anyone knows what else I can use? Will I cause myself any long term serious harm by using sudafed spray?
  • Posted

Hi Lizzy,

I am also having same problem since few months.

Did you find any help on this ?

Thanks in advance.

• Posted

Dear Lizzy, I've got a similar problem, l am suspecting that it might be an allergy. I will go to the doctor next week. I literally can't function throughout the day without using my spray at least twice... I will let you know, maybe they will provide me with an info that 'll be useful to both.

Kind regards

• Posted

Hello. I've had the same issue for 8 years. Nobody, including doctors or pharmacists had an answer except to use Sudafed nasal spray.

This is until last week! A customer in the pharmacy overheard me and told me to use Beconase spray. It literally cleared up in 24 hours. I'm still using the saline solution to help clear my nose once a day but the constant rebound has gone. I feel like a new person, not having to make sure I have some spray to hand at all times.

I'm now on a mission to find all the forums on the internet to spread the news. I've worked out that I've spent around £2,500 on Sudafed :-0 Please let me know how you get on. I hope this works for you all too x

• Posted

hi! i know this an old forum but im also here for sudafed help.

have any of you found the answer,?

and was there any beconase in particular that you used? thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.