Can't control my BP275/220

Posted , 4 users are following.

Tried lots of BP med.spent years on aceCapitopril and metoprolol which stopped working.I'm 78 Doc did tests and left kidney not working well.I've been given Indapamida/Amlodipina to start in morning also 50mgCapitopril.Really word about starting new drug.Has anyone else tried this.Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Margaret90657, hope you're doing better.  I sympathize with you and just want to wish you well...try and stay calm, be positive and have someone with you if not in the hospital so you'll feel more safe while the change is taking place.  I can't offer much information except that I did try amlodipine by itself along with hydrochlorothiazide and I didn't do  good on them so I went back to Lisinopril which has a lot of side effects, but I am weaning off of that and plan not to take any blood pressure meds at all if I can help it.  I was just reading on a diabetic forum that one woman stopped the Lisinopril because she believed it was causing her kidney failure and she said her kidneys came back to normal after stopping the Lisinopril...another person said the same thing as well so this is interesting....78 is not old so take care of yourself and try and do a little research on your own or talk with others here about this...Just wanted to wish you well and hope all goes well too...take care...all the best to you Margaret...

• Posted

Dear Mary, thanks so much for your comments.I'm trying to stay strong for my family, not easy.You are so kind to bother and I wish you all the best xx Margaret

• Posted

PS: Margaret90651 I did take metoprolol too and It did the job of slowing down my heart rate, but after a few months I developed a lot of bad side effects and had to wean off of that which I did and I feel so much better.  I do deep breathing when my heart rate goes up and try to do it thru out the day a couple of times...Many of us don't react well to BP meds but don't worry, you'll be okay and find something to help you I'm sure...smile

• Posted

Hi Mary, just been told after tests I've got chronic kidney disease , feel like giving up.Tried so many meds.but up it goes again.Thank you for your comments xx

• Posted

Margaret90651 Hello ...ofcourse you won't give up; don't be silly...this happens to many people with blood pressure going up when doctors are around or they're in the hospital and tests are being done...just a normal reactions to the stresses ...your blood pressure will go down when you get home and can relax and not think about medical problems, but just enjoy life...my Blood pressure did the same thing a couple of times and It was because I felt so pressured by the doctors telling me how high my BP was and being in  the hospital...my bp was being taken one morning as I was waking up and the technician said your bp dropped nicely and I thought; well of course it did; no one bothers me when I'm sleeping so do you get my drift Margaret...it will go down; just do your best not to obsess about it and it will go down...PS:: blood pressure meds take their toll on our kidney's; did you know that ?  If you have a friend or family member who can ask questions for you of the doctors that may help you...I'm not a doctor person nor do I believe everything in the medical world so I would question everything and make up my mind on what I want for my body..don't give up Margaret...so many people including myself have said that the blood pressure medication has raised their blood pressure and some doctors say that's impossible, but I disagree and so many others so give it some thought...get second opinion... I am not bad mouthing all doctors, but there's more to our health than medications and tests on our body organs...think about it..if doctor tells you you're sick; you will be sick and if doctor says you're all better then you feel better..tell the doctor to change his story...have you tried diet and exercise to get bp down as well as salt intake ?  never give up Margaret; you must defend yourself and your body...feel better...I weaned off one BP medication and wouldn't allow doctors to take my BP and my BP went down...it's not normal to have someone constantly taking our blood pressures and doing medical testing on us....I don't want you to stop your meds but think about your mental health and i'm sure the stress isn't helping you...get better Margaret ...

• Posted

margaret90651, I am not a doctor Margaret, but I do have experience with having high blood pressure and in trying different medications to treat it.  I know if something is bothering us emotionally or mentally our blood pressure will rise.  It seems as though ace inhibitors haven't helped you so perhaps a different beta blocker may help such as atenolol and maybe in addition to that a small dose of clonidine. I took those meds with Lisinopril and my blood pressure went too low; approx. 110/69...that's too low for me and I couldn't even get up from a chair without being dizzy so I told the doctor to take away the clonidine and he did and my BP went back up to it's usual 155/90.  The atenolol had to be given only if my pulse was above 60 because otherwise my heart rate went too low...the clonidine and atenolol seemed to do the trick in lowering my bp and I can get very high bp but it's induced high blood pressure by being in hospital or having my bp taken and my bp was as high as 266/227 ..it really does go down once i'm home and feel safe...White Coat syndrome includes our blood pressure being tested and being in the hospital...ask your doctor to consider adding a different beta blocker and something comparable to clonidine; it did lower my very high BP...I'm presently using klonopin 2x a day to help lower my BP and it works for me in conjunction with small dose of Lisinopril 5-10mg...I have to get off the Lisinopril because it has too many bad side effects on me and one is labored breathing and inflammation. Some people take only beta blockers to treat high BP, but metoprolol I don't like only because the nasty side effects came out months into taking the medication...both metoprolol and Lisinopril gave me chest pain, inflammation, muscle problems, labored breathing and flu like symptoms as well as my salt level going too low and my raising my liver enzymes.  I never had those symptoms before starting the blood pressure medications so I knew the BP meds caused cardiac conditions in me; not good at all...Sleep good Margaret and get well....kidney disease can be treated too so ask your doctor about that...you cannot give up...

• Posted

Hello Margaret, I am sorry for your troubles reading about all the drugs you are urged to take. I try to take a more natural path myself and found that drinking water helps your ailment.  I'm copying something taken from a google search that may interest you:

"Water intake affects blood pressure in two ways. First, when you don't drink enough water your body attempts to secure its fluid supply by retaining sodium. Sodium is your body's “water-insurance mechanism.” ... So, one of the best ways to lower your blood pressure naturally is by staying well-hydrated."  you could copy & paste the URL into your browser and read more here:

https://www.drsinatra.com/lower-your-blood-pressure-naturally-by-drinking-water

I'm not even sure I understand how it all works myself, but it looks a harmless solution.  Very good luck to you.

• Posted

More importnatly, what investigations have you undergone to establish a reason why BP is so high?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.