Can't deal with lonliness

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,I am 22 Well I'm not sure if I have anxiety I have never been diagnosed as I don't believe going and getting medication is right for me personally. I have done alot of research and most people say changing your lifestyle works much better than taking a pill. Sorry anyway, I literally can't stand being on my own. I live by myself but I always make sure I'm busy I go to uni, I work and Ill make sure I see friends every day I have lots of friends so that isn't an issue. But if im on my own for longer than an hour or once my friends go home I get instantly depressed I cry and I feel so lonely. Nobody knows I get like this because I am fine and normal when I am with my friends. But like now I am trying to get my uni coursework done and I can't do it because I am sitting in a room by myself and I get really emotional I can't concentrate on anything else apart from how lonely I feel. It's becoming such an issue because I can't go my whole life being attached to everyone because when everyone starts to grow up and have families and what not there won't be people to be with all the time so I need to learn to deal with it but I have literally no idea how. I got a pet cat who I love so much but it still hasn't fixed me feeling so lonely. If anyone has any experience of this or any idea's or how to make it better I would really appreciate it. Thankyou smile

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Loneliness** Oops. 
  • Posted

it sounds more like a bout of depression. I would reccomend speaking to gp just to see what they can do for you. I suffer from anxiety myself. Like you i'm 22 years old and am at university. I know how tough uni can be at times being away from home etc. Do you ever feel on edge alot of the time or do you obsess over certain thoughts? If so then this could be anxiety related. However lonliness as a primary symptom can be typical of depression and a very common thing to have for a uni student at our age! Sign up to a local gp around the uni and explain how you're feeling. Councellors work wonders. Whenever i feel stressed and speak to one i feel a weight lifted. If you would rather speak to someone confidentially about how you feel then you can always drop me a message and i will be more than happy to have a chat. 
  • Posted

Hi sweetie. I'm also 22 and on uni. Since I've got my anxiety I HATE going to school I get s freaked out! So that's a good sign you like being there. i don't like being alone either. i think you should go to your local psychiatrist. You do not have to get medicine (you can refuse the option). But they can get you set up with a therapist and get an actual diagnosis. The cat is a great idea. Cats are great companions. I swear mine knows when I am having a panic attack or had anxiety because she comes and lays on me and calms me down smile. If you are ever alone and want a chat, feel free to private message me. I don't want you to go through this alone. I'm a stranger, but I feel oddly close to others with anxiety because we know how each other is feeling. Please go see a psychiatrist, you don't have to get medicine. The longer you ignore it, the worse t will probably get. Xx
  • Posted

Good advise all round. Learning to be ok in your own company is not easy if your feeling like you are. It is a symptom of depression so with right treatment and talking therapy you will be great.

• Posted

Hey there!

I totally jive with this. I am 22 as well. I make sure I am constantly surrounded by friends. I always make plans every day for after work. I get lonely and almost afraid when I am with only myself. I dislike it greatly. I have to fall asleep with the tv on so I don't feel SO alone.

Heres the cool thing:

I've been in this place before...and totally overcame it. I remember the day I came home after riding my bicycle across america I was a new man. I laid down on my bed that first night in complete silence with a smile on my face. It was good to be happy alone. I WILL get that back. and you WILL find contentment with yourself! I promise. Just keep the faith. You are never truly alone.

• Posted

Maybe you are moving from the stage of being at home in your family life with your parents and siblings to life in uni as a young adult getting used to times alone. Sort of like an adjustment. Are you dating anyone? That may fill the gap. Sometimes I am scared too when I am alone as I start to go into worries and fears/anxieties. I am just not the type of person to be alone and I am 45, seems like I never adjusted. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.