Can’t do abduction exercise

Posted , 8 users are following.

HI

I am 2 weeks post op from having a TLHR and cant do the abduction exercise when lying down i can move leg outwards but cant move it at all to come back inwards and have to move it with my hands just wondered if im trying too much too fast would appreciate any feed back

regards

teresa

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

Personally I don't think you are trying to do too much too fast. I'm presuming the abduction exercise is part of a series that was provided to you by the physiotherapy team prior to or just after your surgery.

I know that after my THR (posterior) last November, I had a booklet with at least 12 different exercises to do both in the prone position and standing up. Some were advised to be repeated 3 times daily and others just once a day. It was emphasised that I should stick religiously to the regime if I wanted the best and quickest recovery.

If you had the posterior approach then the muscles around your hip joint will have undergone significant trauma and will take time and exercise to return to full working order.

From memory, I too struggled with the abduction exercise both in the prone and standing positions. The particular muscle or combination of muscles that allow you to do that are probably the worst affected by the surgery so will take more time to recover.

My advice is to keep at it even if you have to manually move your leg in the early stages.

• Posted

thanks for advice i will keep at it i did have the posterior approach so will maybe get husband to help bring it back for me as i can manage to do the exercises when standing ok

regards

teresa

• Posted

it too me over three weeks to complete this because my leg was so heavy and the muscles were weak. It takes time. Do not panic about it. I wish you the best recovery.

• Posted

thank you i was having a little panic so appreciate your feedback

regards

teresa

• Posted

hi teresa

i had same problem give it time i am now seven weeks, walking almost normally and driving again. your strengthen will come back in your legs just keep doing as much of the exercises as you can. the first three weeks are the hardest. all the best

Dawron

• Posted

thankyou its good to get feedback to get the confidence to know what to expect all the best for your recovery

regards

teresa

• Posted

I had problems with that after my first THR, it was the friction of the bedclothes - I used a 'sliding sheet' or plastic bag to help me get it moving.

• Posted

thankyou i will give that a go thanks for the feedback

regards

teresa

• Posted

thank you so much for your feedback i will just listen to my body and do what i can with the exercises im walking a bit more without crutches just not overly confident walking too far without the one so just trying to boost my confidence im glad your recovery is going well good luck with all your future ventures

regards

teresa

• Posted

Don't worry. It's much too early to expect to do the abduction. It's incredibly difficult at first. I am 10 weeks post op tomorrow and have recovered amazingly quickly but I found abduction almost impossible at first. It's important to do your exercises religiously but don't push your body further than it wants to go. Take it steady. You'll get there. I could walk without sticks after 2 weeks, just over 1.5k after 3 weeks and driving after 5-6 weeks. I can now do most everyday things including tying my own shoe laces and cutting toe nails. I still have a little soreness very deep inside and my muscles haven't got back to full strength yet but I think it's a long job and we all just have to be patient. All the very best and I hope you get on as well as I have.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.