Can’t eat for pain.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

Is anyone in the same position as me? I have chronic Gastritis, at this moment this is all that I know I have. I am experiencing tightness in my throat, feel like I’m chocking at times. often when I eat, it feels like a knife going through my sternum, I get dreadful nausea, the lining of my stomach feels like it’s burning all the time. I’ve suffered heartburn for 20 years, it’s a daily thing, along with indegestion. I get acid reflux now and again. I’ve been on and off PPI’s for 2 years, there not working. The latest addition is pain in my upper right quadrant, pain in my lower back, middle and upper between my shoulder blades. Pain in my lower abdomen, urine retension. I had to fast for 5 days to get some relief, I ate yesterday and was doubled over in pain in my abdomen. Every time I eat I’m in pain somewhere, whether it’s the lining of my stomach, upper right quad, or lower abdomen. My bowel movements are all over the place, last nights was like chunks of something, mucous and diarrhoea like. Nearly went to A&E with the pain. I’m currently waiting to see a gastroenterologist, but I’ve no idea when this will be. The only relief I get is when I don’t eat and only drink water. I’ve lost a stone, is anyone else like this? 😕

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Is it possible that you have low stomach acid, not high?  Doctors treat patients for high acid when they have heartburn or acid reflux but as we age we produce less stomach acid.  The symptoms of low and high are the same.  You need stomach acid (hcl) to open the sphincter into your small intestine.  If you don't have enough, it won't open, causing the stomach to bulge and acid to go back up your esophagus.  Read about it.  If the PPIs aren't working, this may be partly responsible.

• Posted

It’s more than likely that I do, but I’m pretty sure there’s something going on with an organ or two. I would probably be in a better state if doctors had given me hydrochloric acid instead of PPI’s. 🙁

• Posted

I have a similar problem and I’m being treated for it right now. Have you gotten your gallbladder checked? Some of those symptoms sound like gallbladder issues. And have you gotten an endoscopy to rule out ulcers and other stomach issues? What medicines have you tried?
    • Posted

Hi

I had an endoscopy, it showed inflammation of the stomach and small bowel. I had an ultrasound and my gallbladder was fine, in fact I’ve had two and they were both fine. It’s definately not psychological, I’m in an awful lot of pain. 😕. I’m still convinced there missing something with the gall bladder, liver or pancreas. 

• Posted

Perhaps get an ultrasound or CT scan to check for gallstones. Good luck. I really hope you get the issue resolved. 
    • Posted

Thanks Farah. Hope the gastroenterologist sends me for one. 😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.