Can't empty bladder

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have some new stones formed, but my urologist and I agreed to wait for imaging if they don't pass. But I've been noticing that I cannot empty my bladder all the. I can stand up and try again and more and more pee comes in little bursts. I plan on  discussing this with my urologist, but I was curious to know if anyone else has had this issue with the kidney stones or something else. Any ideas?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I have a large kidney stone. Waiting for a urologist to remove it by keyhole surgery. I have an appointment with him in Bristol in October and am really hoping he will operate this year.

What I am finding with emptying my bladder is that sometimes (becoming more frequent) I cannot actually feel myself doing it. I feel when I need to empty but as soon as I start emptying it's like I have no control.

Also my bowel habits are changing. I am going to talk to the GP surgery about this tomorrow.

Is it a typing error or what do you mean by cannot empty my bladder all the?

Hope your urologist is able to help you.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Sorry, I meant all the way. I can pee but still feel the urge to go after I've already gone. How large is your stone to need that type of surgery? I hope they fix you up. I had a 10 and 11 mm and needed a ureteroscopy done last year.

• Posted

You could possibly have a UTI, that is a common symptom. Are the stones already in the bladder already?
    • Posted

I got a urine culture done, so hopefully I'll know if it's a UTI soon. I have no idea where the stones are. We haven't had any imaging recently. Mostly I just know what they feel like. I don't even know how big they are. But I've never had this issue with my bladder.

• Posted

This is interesting. Frequent UTI's about a year ago were the beginning of finding out about my kidney stone. However UTI's seem to have stopped but every time I do a urine sample there is blood in it.

The urologist did show me the scan, but my human biology leaves much to be desired and I can't remember exactly where the stone is, except that the urologist did say it could not possibly be in a more difficult place for them to get to!!! I think it is still in the kidney but am not sure.

Sarah

• Posted

Do you have other symptoms with your UTIs? I'm prone to them, kidney infections and stones. I've never noticed a connection with my stones though. I always burn, but you may be on to something. I hope it's that simple to fix.

• Posted

I would call it discomfort rather than actually burning.

If you can read my recent post about stomach pain that may be helpful, if you can't get to it let me know and I will send it to you.

My main problem is the stomach pain and pain in my right side which can develop very quickly for no apparent reason so I cannot really plan anything too far ahead.

Sarah

• Posted

Up to 27mm. I also have the added complication that I was born with horseshoe kidneys. When they were forming whilst I was in the womb they did not separate out so they are joined together at the bottom. But I still have a right and left kidney and my stone (or stones) are in the right one. Hope that answers your question. You can find out all about horseshoe kidneys with diagrams on the internet. I am now nearly 67 years old and only knew I had horseshoe kidneys seven  years ago, so they have never given me any trouble until now.

Hope you are soon sorted out

Sarah 

• Posted

Hi Kaitlyn

Please contact your urologist asap.  You could possibly have a stone that is causing a blockage in the urethra.  If this would continue the urine could cause a backup resulting in an infection. This could become very serious, so please contact your urologist asap.  

• Posted

Thank you for your input. This was my main concern as well. Do you have personal experience with this? How is it diagnosed and treated?
  • Posted

Hi Kaitlyn  

Your urologist can run a 24 hr urine - catch ( I've done these a lot )

Basically every time you pee you will put it into the bottle they give you.

After 24 hrs you return it to your urologist and they will send it out to the lab.

It measures your output of how much you are releasing urine, it measures other proteins and checks for blood or bacteria in your urine.  Depending on what they find, determines the treatment.  Example: If they find bacteria, you may need antibiotics.  If your urine output is very low for the 24 hrs it may need prompt attention such as a CT scan to see if you have blockage from a stone.  So it all depends on what they find as to what the best treatment will be for you.  Either way I would call your urologist to let them know what you are experiencing.  Take Care and Best Wishes to You 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.