Can't find surgeon for my HS?? Help?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, this is my first post here; I'm desparate. I'm a 21 year old female with severe HS on my "underwear line". I am overweight so my stomach rolls over the 7-8 inch wide line of cysts. I have tried topical creams, Clindamycin, oral antibiotics, Xeroform guaze, etc. all with little to no improvement. I bandage it up everyday with guaze and a strip of Xeroform just to conceal the stench and provide any bit of comfort. I have such horrible anxiety and just thinking about this disease on my own body throws me into a panic attack. I can't sleep without pain, I scratch off my tape in my sleep, which has left me with rashes. It hurts to sit and walk and laugh and basically do anything. This is ruining my life. I have seen 6 doctors and surgeons and all appts end with them pushing me to a different doctor because no one will operate on me because of the unprecedented location of my HS. It seems like I essentially need a tummy tuck where I can get the glands and tracts excised. I am in the Michigan area, but I will travel anywhere in the Midwest to find a doctor who could give me hope for surgery. I can't wait forever I feel like I will go crazy. Please, if anyone has any ideas for me for what I can do, respond to this post.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I just had surgery two weeks ago for mine. I had it on both sides of my bikini line. I went to Ohio state university in Columbus, oh. I live just south of the Michigan border. My family physician just kept giving me creams and antibiotics with no help. I set up my own appointment and got in quickly. The surgeon specialized in this. He took one look at it and said yup u need surgery. I get stitches he's out next week. If you have any questions for me or anything please feel free to ask me.

• Posted

Hi Lorianne, thanks so much for the info-hope you're healing quickly! Is there any way I could get the name of your surgeon? It sounds like we have similar conditions

• Posted

Here is the information. The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center

Dr. Richard Schlanger

If you need anything ​else, feel free to ask me.

• Posted

First, I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time.  This is a horrible disease.  Since you said you're willing to go anywhere in the Midwest, have you considered the Mayo Clinic or the Cleveland Clinic?  Probably would be best to start with a dermatologist at eithe clinic and see where he or she refers you.  It might help to get to one of these major medical centers where they've had more experience with HS.  Good luck.  I hope you find some relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.