Can't focus on more than one thing with both eyes open. Double/Blurry Vision.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been having some vision problems the past few months, and it's difficult to describe, but I'll do my best... 

It's almost like I can ONLY focus in on one thing in front of me, and the rest is blurry/double vision, almost like I'm cross-eyed. For example, I have 2 monitors in front of me at work. If I'm looking at both, only one comes in focus, while the other is blurry, and almost starts to overlap the other one. If I'm driving, and I'm looking out the left drivers side window, I can either see the mirror image in focus, the plastic cover of the mirror in focus, or the road in focus. I can't see all of them at one time in focus. 

I've seen an eye doctor, and he found no issues. I've had an MRI, as well as some standard tests for Vertigo from a Neurologist, and he found nothing wrong. I had an EEG this morning, so i'll have to await those results. 

Any thoughts? Anything I should bring up with any of my doctors? Questions to ask, tests to take? I feel it's only getting worse. 

Just an FYI -- I have never smoked, I rarely drink. The last time I had a drink was probably over a year ago, I've never done drugs. Here are the medications I take: 

5mg Lexapro daily

Phillips Colon Health 1 pill daily

I was taking Claritin once a day, and a nasal spray once a day, but I've stopped (5 days ago) as I heard that might make my vision problem worse.

Any and all help is appreciated!!! 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

According to the pateint information for Lexapro, you should "get medical help right away if you have any very serious side effects, including ... eye pain/swelling/redness, vision changes (such as seeing rainbows around lights at night, blurred vision).

Elsewhere: "Percentage of Lexapro patients where altered visual depth perception is a reported side effect: 0.0585%."

Maybe you're one of the one in about 1700.

• Posted

Wow. Didn't realize that. I've been on it since December. I've only started noticing the vision changes since late March. I'm also on a VERY low dose, and my eye doctor, psychiatrist, primary and neurologist is aware I'm on the medication. 

But "Visual Depth Perception" is definitely a good way to put what I'm experiencing. It's been hard to come up with the words. 

• Posted

Hi. I know this is a older post..  but did you find out anything about your vision?

I have the same issue and it’s hard to explain too. It’s caused me to be worried when driving because it’s almost like my eyes don’t work together. It looks like the cars on the outer lanes are coming in my lane. It I close one eye I can see better.

• Posted

I had this problem! Believe it or not, it went away when I had my ears syringed!! one ear was blocked
  • Posted

I've been having pretty much the exact same problem. I've seen all the doctors you mentioned and have had all the tests and everything is normal besides one thing. They found that I have pretty low iron and anemia but they have done stool samples in urine samples and they cannot find any bleeding anywhere. My doctor also agrees that unless I am a strict vegetarian which I am definitely not that it is not diet that's causing it. So for some unknown reason my body is not absorbing iron and I am becoming anemic because of it. it's hard to believe that that can cause vision problems but what else could it be after all these tests. I have an appointment on December 12th with a hematologist hopefully they can figure something out. I suggest getting a complete blood count if you haven't done it. Who knows maybe we have the same issue since the symptoms match up so well. Good luck

• Posted

definitely get your ears checked! I was in france when this happened to me, they checked my ears and apparently one was blocked. It went away as soon as I got it fixed. I couldn't even look out the airplane window because the wing was double if i focused on the window and if i focused on the wing the window was double!! It was crazy 

• Posted

I will definitely get to an ent. I've kinda questioned that before. about a weak before this vision stuff started my ears got plugged up really bad. Everything sounded real muffled, and the pressure felt r really weird. I made an appointment with my doctor and he saw a lot of fluid in my ears and told me to get something at the pharmacy. I can't remember what but the next day I could hear fine and it all cleared up. But maybe it drained wrong or something.

• Posted

I've been having pretty much the exact same problem. I've seen all the doctors you mentioned and have had all the tests and everything is normal besides one thing. They found that I have pretty low iron and anemia but they have done stool samples in urine samples and they cannot find any bleeding anywhere. My doctor also agrees that unless I am a strict vegetarian which I am definitely not that it is not diet that's causing it. So for some unknown reason my body is not absorbing iron and I am becoming anemic because of it. it's hard to believe that that can cause vision problems but what else could it be after all these tests. I have an appointment on December 12th with a hematologist hopefully they can figure something out. I suggest getting a complete blood count if you haven't done it. Who knows maybe we have the same issue since the symptoms match up so well. Good luck

• Posted

Hi, i wanted to ask if you had any success with finding a source of the issue, ive been having an almost identical problem, chronic double vision which allows me to only focus on one thing to make it double, a really fatigued sensation in both eyes, and my eyes, since this problem are alot more prone to going in and out of focus.

I had been referred to an Orthoptist who told me my muscles had weakened and could be strengthned again through vision exercises which i have been attempting, they seem to help a little but to no great avail! 

Im seeing them in a few weeks to go through the exercise regimen anyway.

If it helps, i also have what i can only describe as a ringing in my ears with a dizzy sensation, both things are made only worse by my already diagnosed tinnitus.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.