Can't get catheter into bladder

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm having to CIC for now, and more than half the time I cannot get it the last couple inches or so into the bladder. Sometimes it goes right in and occasionally I can get it in after a couple tries, but often I just can't get it in despite trying a dozen or more times in different positions and just give up, after which the tip comes back bloody. I retain about 1000ml so need to get this under control or go back to a Foley. I'm currently using a coude tip.

I've read posts here about 'kamikaze method' but that hasn't worked.

Any suggestions on getting this to work reliably?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Specifically, what catheter brand are you using? It can make a big difference. Hank

• Posted

Hi Hank, it's a Cure Catheter 16 Fr. w/ coudé tip.

• Edited

I would try size 14 or even 12. Size 16 is a little large for beginner. Avoid coude unless you are sure you are orienting it correctly.

Also, what are you using for lube? Make sure that it is well lubricated. If it takes several tries , you may need to relube it. Is it prelubed, or hydrophylic ? Hank

• Posted

Thanks, I'm getting various samples tomorrow, which I hope will include thinner ones. All I've use so far are hydrophilc with a water packet. The coudé version has a line all along the tube so I think I'm properly orienting it and it's worked more reliably than the straight, but I'm open to any other variation that might work.

• Edited

For hydrophilic catheter , I would dip it back in to the water ( in the pouch ) before each reinsertion. Hank

• Edited

Hi Hank, I got some size 12 samples and so far all 8 or so tries have been successful. Hope this pattern holds! Huge contrast to 14, which was unsuccessful about 2/3 of the time. Med professionals were skeptical that size was the problem but sometimes the real-life experiences of laypeople can be very valuable. Just following up to thank you again for your comments, which resulted in making this unpleasant experience much better for me.

• Posted

Glad to hear that you succeeded. Sure, size always matters most. After you become a pro, perhaps you could try size 14. It is recommended that you stay with largest size that works and comfortable. In your case it is size 12. Hank

• Edited

I watched a video on self cathing and it suggested wiggling your toes while inserting the cath. It keeps you from clinching down on it.

• Posted

I think I saw the same video and tried it repeatedly without success, but I appreciate the suggestion. Looks like I just needed a smaller cath size.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.