Can't get off 100mg!!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello.

I have been trying to come my final 100 MG gabapentin for months now . Every time I try I get severe insomnia and mood swings ( among many symptoms). For four months I have been halfing the dose with a mix of orange juice. I still cannot jump even this little amount without the insomnia and mood swings coming back. I am otherwise a very stable, relaxed person. I am a professional mental health provider that works in crisis situations. I was on 1200 MG of gabapentin for two years before I can begin slowly tapering over the course of one year.

Some background: while in grad school I had two traumatic events happen to my family. This caused me great anxiety and I decided to take medications . Gabapentin was the first among many. I wound up on five different medications for anxiety and depression associated with PTSD. I have recovered and no longer need meds. ( They ultimately caused more harm than good).

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

about 3 months ago maybe a little longer I tried taking 100 mg of gabaprntin every other day ...after the 4 th day it was so bad but I hung in there for 6 days....at that point I could't function  had to go back to every day once a day 100 mg....July I was on it a year....June 8 I took my last depakoe.......I dont have another drs appt till Oct....but I am going to try and go in earlier to see what we can do to get me off of this med....right now I am getting alot of headaches...they think its sinsus inflammation    been having trouble for a month....going to call dr..may need antibiotic.......I never get headaches...

• Posted

I posted this several months ago... But I will post this again.  I understand that the lower the dose, the more bioavailable the medication is to your body. That means your body is trying to use the entire amount and is used to functioning with it. At higher doses, your body is using much less of the medication so it can be easier to come down from very high doses until you get below 1200. Then you need to start slowing down your taper. I'm currently taping off 100 MG. I requested the liquid form for easier measuring the taper amount. I am currently tapering down by 10 MG every 3 weeks. So I went to 90 MG for 3 weeks, then 80 MG for 3 weeks and so on. I'm currently at 40 MG and now it's getting harder, so I may have to taper every 4 weeks now or taper at 5 MG? I will see how my body handles it. I still have withdrawals, but nothing like when I tried 100 MG all at once. I couldn't do it because the withdrawals were so severe. You may need to taper 10 MG every 4 weeks or even taper by 5 MG. The closer you get to the end, the slower you need to go. Make sure you are also getting rest, drinking plenty of water, eating healthy and exercising while you are tapering. Hope this helps!

• Posted

Have you tried magnesium . If you don't take the gabapentin you can take it. It will be hard .That's how I did it but I had to go back to the gabapentin because of nerve pain in my arms .I was off of the gabapentin I wish I could of stayed off

• Posted

I never read your post before.  But thank you so much for the advice...I didn't know they made it in a liquid form.....going to let my dr know I would like to drop 10 mg every 3 weeks....I will see how it goes.......thank you so much    cant wait to get off this crap

• Posted

You're very welcome! Best wishes on your healing journey.

• Posted

Are you still monitoring this discussion ?  I have some explicit questions for you.  I am kind of going thru some of the same withdrawall now down to 100 mg/   2 X  per day........it's slow to come off of huh ?  I get the feeling that there is some "permanent" side effects that just will not go away ?

• Posted

hi....as far as I understand side effects can last for months once you stop....as anxious as we all are to get off this medicine the important thing is very very slow and the lower the dosage the less you should decrease it....sometimes which I know people dont like to hear you may not be able to drop it for several months....I am a perfect example   went to 100 every other day and once a day....but day 6 I couldnt function.......dr said back to 100 daily...by day 3 I was back to functioning fine......Monday have an appt with dr.....wan to decrease it now by 10 to 15 mg every 3 to 4 weeks......hopefully all well go well then when I get to 50 mg once a day i want to decrease it 5 mg.....we will see how it goes on Monday........anyway....if the withdrawals are really really bacd you may need to decrease it less   so at least its decreased and you can function
    • Posted

its tough....hopefully this forum helps people through this
  • Posted

I was only on Gabapentin for a month and detoxing was hell.

I was put on 1200 a day

Dr had me go three days w 300mg in morning and 300 mg at night

Then 300 mg once a day for 3 days

I felt like I was going through hell.

Literally

Jumping out of my skin, insomnia, anxiety etc

Had to have someone w me

I ended up on ER for a few hours

They had me take Benadryl only because it was the only safe med I wasn't allergic to.

That and magnesium seemed to help me. But don't do it alone. Ask Drs and if they won't help try counselor

I ended up with a trauma counselor because I was given the Gabapentin by mistake from pharmacy instead of ibuprofen and she understood me and the detox part more than my pcp (dr)

• Posted

I went cold turkey 32 days ago from 5600 mg daily. Three weeks of help. I made it. Sleep is still disturbed but you can just cold turkey from 100 mg in a few days. However the sleep problems will continue for weeks.
    • Posted

that is just astrounding that you would go of that high a dose to cold turkey. How long had you been on that high dose ?  I've heard it said that when  abruptly stopping a high dose , a person is at high risk of a major seizure! Hope does not happen. But I would beware if I were you. There could still be some great adverse effects-- being only 32 days ago.  I   Don't think you are out of the woods yet. My opinion of course.

• Posted

hi doodlebug......I dont mean to sound nasty but that was not a smart thing you did to go cold turkey from such a high dosage......consider yourself very very lucky so far......beaware things can still happen as of withdrawals   wishing you luck.......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.