Can’t get relief from EXCRUCIATING pain caused by herniated disc.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Six weeks ago my husband slipped at work and after numerous chiropractor and medical doctor visits they determined he herniated a disc in his lower back. We have tried what seems like absolutely everything for him to get relief from this pain, but the pain gets worse every day. He is not one to ever complain about pain, so to see him scream in pain when he stands up or moves is unbearable. No pain medication or anti inflammatory has touched the pain. He got a cortisone injection today and we are hoping that will provide some relief in the next few days. I know this pain is starting to take a toll on him.  He is exhausted from it and is unable to work and it’s even affecting his normal activities of daily living. Does anyone have any suggestions for over the counter medications or home remedies that they think would help? He can’t keep feeling like this.  Six weeks is much too long. 

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

  • Posted

    The steroid is pretty much the most powerful medication you can use to deal with the inflammation of the nerve. 

    The only other medication that can work is lyrica but that works on the whole nervous system and is not over the counter. 

    You can also ask your doctor for a course of oral steroids. Early on they worked ok for me.

    Over the counter all you can use it a lot of ibuprofen and I suppose some kind of fortified paracetamol but that will not do much I’m afraid.

    Otherwise, you should ice the area in the back 20 mins every hour or two to lower the inflammation and reduce the paid. Google exact timings as you can overdo it. No heat. That will only make the inflammation worse.

    Are you scheduled to talk to anyone about surgery? 

    Which disc has gone?

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Can you calm it but sitting in a recliner with two pillows under the upper and lower legs?


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Sympathies ! My husband gone through the same since December 2016, push for MRI took him 5 months, on morphine gapopentin etc etc op next week 

    GP kept just giving pain killers, tried oesteopath 5 months, in the end taken into hospital emergency MRI we paid for neurosurgeon appointment which has resulted in op.

    Good luck, shout for your rights, my husband was too nice until I got involved and has been in agony most of this year.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I agree with Diane, I'm recovering from spinal fusion after a herniated disk caused me horrific pain for 3 years, I tried everything and surgery was the only option for me. Everyone is different and they say some people get better on their own, but unfortunately he may have to go along a really long road before doctors will do anything else, they only gave me surgery because it hadn't gone after 3 years. Back pain is the worst and can mess with your life, but he will get it sorted eventually.. might just take a while 

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    if the injection doesn't work or it comes back I really think surgery is the only option.   Sounds like the stuff between the vertebrae has leaked out and is pressing on the sciatic nerve, sometimes this never goes away on its only and only surgery can resolve it.   The longer you leave the more damage you can do to the nerves.   I had micro discectomy done and the relief afterwards was incredible.   Ask for an MRI asap or pay to have it done privately if long NHS waiting list.  costs around £350 at my hospital.

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Yes, my disc sequestered fluid into the nerve and it caused long term weakness in my calf. The longer you leave it, potentially the worse the long term consequences. 

      Get an MRI ASAP and pay for it if you have to. If there is disc fluid on the nerve then you really should have surgery if it’s symptomatic. Some people can only have mild symptoms in which case you can wait for it to be reabsorbed but that does not sound like it is the case here.

      If your scan suggests you need surgery then you need to really make a very big fuss at our GP and consultant. The NHS is very strapped for these resources right now but if you at risk of long term paresis then you should get a shot at an op soon.

      Else, if you can get the money together, go private.

      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up