Can't get rid of music ear worms - could it possibly be the Lexapro?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I'm an old hand at panic / anxiety disorders but in the latest bout, I've never experienced this. I've been trying to get on Lexapro for a week and a half but still haven't been able to advance beyond a half a 5mg tab a day yet. Anyhow for the past two days, I've been experiencing near constant song lyrics refusing to leave my mind. The songs can be something I heard on the radio or a random song that pops in my head but songs switch around. Is this part of the panic disorder or by any chance could the Lexapro be causing this? Do you think it will go away?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

definitely anxiety. I get that every day when I wake up. it's scary at first because you wonder why you cant stop it from happening and why it happens but its definitely anxiety. starting meds can increase anxiety at first too so its gonna happen for a little while until your anxiety gets better. it will pass though x

• Posted

did it ever go away for you? I'm currently having this non stop too and its driving me nuts. makes me feel worse.

• Posted

Yes, I can be OCD, meaning wondering if I left the water turned on, etc and can have excessive unproductive worrying. The covid experience (and really missing my gym!) had made these conditions a bit worse but then a round of prednisone just put me over the edge and brought back the panic condition which really had not been bad for several years. When I was still feeling excessive anxiety and panic, more than a week off the prednisone I started the Lexapro.

The thing is, this round of anxiety / panic is a bit more manageable then some I've had in the past (quitting drinking several years ago for example), except for this damn ear worm which I have to fight to keep the anxiety/panic down. And I wonder why now all of a sudden as opposed to past panic episodes?It does seem to lighten up a bit in the evening when watching TV. I have been avoiding listening to music in the car or at work, is this the wrong strategy?

I do hope it passes!

• Posted

not the meds i get this and its annoying, even in my sleep i get it too, i dont know why, ignoring it helps it go away,

• Posted

I have found that when my mind becomes filled with more acute, unwarranted, unproductive, anxious thoughts, it will drive away the song lyrics!

• Edited

Yes I get this also. I also get this with reoccurring thoughts. I have just switched from sertraline after 8 years to venlafaxine due to the thoughts coming back. I could have went back up the dose of sertraline as we were tapering off however my gp and I where keen to try something different knowing that the sert is a back up option. I was on mirtazapine for 4 weeks also at night which worked for a couple of weeks but started to get suicidal ideation and had a break down. I'm only on 32.5mg of slow release venlafaxine for the first 7 days then will double the dose. On day 3 and its a weird drug, feel anxious as hell in the morning and that's when I take the med. Then as the day goes on I seem to chill out a bit. Not sure if this is due to the slow release casuals....Been given 10 valium for emergency's. I know they work but prefare to try and keep them for an extremely bad day.

• Posted

did any of the meds help stop your earworm or has it stuck around no matter what? I also started lexapro 2 weeks ago and noticed my ear worm got worse. I had it a little on and off before the med but now it's like all the time unless I'm asleep. I cant turn my brain off and its driving me crazy.

• Posted

It's hard to say my body and mind are still getting used to venlafaxine. You should discuss with your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.