Can't get rid of styes that came after Cataract Surgery!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have two styes that came a few weeks after Cataract Surgery.  I have tried every remedy including antibiotics and they are still there.  I am getting depressed because of it.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Evelyn80922

I used to get styes a lot when I was younger.  They’re painful I know.  I seemed to get them in stressful situations from what I recall - although I don’t know if stress is a cause for them or not.

I used to put warm compresses on them for about 10 min several times a day.  They would usually take a few days to go.   One thing I learned though was to throw  out all eye makeup or they’d reoccur.  

If they persist you should see a doctor.

• Posted

Thanks for your information, Sue.   These are styes from hell...LOL!!  I've been putting compresses on them for weeks.  I have also been using anti-biotic gel and taking anti-biotics orally.  This has been going on for almost two months for one eye and 1 month for the other.  Yes, I am seeing my ophthalmologist!!  Maybe I need a second opinion from another doctor!

• Posted

Strange the compresses haven’t worked.  I used boiling water (let cool a bit) on cotton ball.  Added a bit of sea salt to boiling water too.  Would take about 3 days for stye to start going away.

Just another thought - aside for throwing out all eye make up you should also look at your eye drops.  If tip has touched any part of your eye those too could be re-infecting your eye.

Haven’t had one in years but used to get them frequently- they are painful buggers.

• Posted

Quick question- are the styes external or internal (under eyelid).   My recommendations were for external as those are what I had experienced.
    • Posted

They are external and they come to a head but don't drain.  

• Posted

That's interesting, I have never had styes in my life but in the 10 months before my cataracts were diagnosed I had 4 stye infections in the affected eye.

• Posted

It makes me wonder if we are getting them from the equipment at the eye doctors office!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.