Can't get to school because of nausea

Posted , 6 users are following.

Its been a week since school started and I missed the whole thing.Ive been feeling nausea,a clump in my throat,burping,and sounds from my stomach you'd usually hear when you're hungry but I hear em basically at random but a lot more than what id think is normal.The nausea is the worst of all.

I've gone to the doctor and he sat me down for not even kidding 2 min.He asked what I had and I told him everything and than he asked if I felt pain in my stomach and than I said no and he just told me there's nothing wrong and that its all in my head and basically that I should just get to school and deal with it myself otherwise I'd have to go to a psychiatrist.

I feel like that wasn't even a real visit.Id gone 4 months before back before summer where I missed the entire end of school and then nothing got fixed.I ignored it for the entire summer because i had no reason to care and it got better(most of the time) but than resurfaced as soon as the stress of school started to come to me.

I dont have any mental issues I dont think.I get stressed out or nervous about school but no more than anyone else.This same stress and anxiety about school makes my symptoms go way worse and I tried way back when I first had the symptoms to just go to school since doctors said I didn't have issues but I couldn't get there.I tried day after day and I failed each time,becoming too nauseus to even enter the school gates.

Today now that schools open again this has become sort of like a fear of fear for me and I dont wanna even try getting to school unless I feel perfect because I'm too scared i won't be able to go there again.

Its becoming really mentally taxing because everyone thinks its all in my head and I'm mentally ill or some s**t and I think if this keeps going I might just end up proving them right.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

Hi there,

It's not that you are mentally ill, it's just that the brain and the gut are connected in a two way system. But it is totally normal.

The problem is that when you avoid things you are giving your brain a message that you can't do something because of how you feel, so then anxiety causes these physical symptoms.

I would advise you to go to school and speak with a counselor or a teacher and let them know what is happening and ask them if you feel overwhelmed if you can be excused from class to go to the bathroom, there you can take a few deep breaths and go back in.

By avoiding you cause more symptoms by facing it, they will (in time) decrease.

And really don't get hung up on the term "mentally ill", people use it incorrectly, that is all.

Good luck!

• Edited

I'm pretty sure now that it may be true.I guess my anxiety is the issue here.

I think I've snowballed myself in really deep problems now.I feel like if I go there I will feel so physically weak that I won't even be able to speak or move or do anything.Thats what happened to me last time I tried at the end of last year.I went into class but I felt so nauseus that it was just not possible to really do anything so I went home thinking it would go away but it didn't.That day on I tried and tried but the sense that I was just about to vomit was there and I couldn't even walk inside the school.That sense of nausea is way too overwhelming.Now the class has got new kids and new teachers so I'm even more scared.

I tried and tried at the end of last year thinking the same thing you just said.That I would be okay and I can just leave If I don't feel too good but than I would end up taking a slow,painful walk from school back home,(which is like 40 minutes back when I was normal)while sitting down on every bench,rock whatever I could sit on and wait there for like 8 minutes than going again.Its so horrible.

My mom does nothing but love me and my sister and she works for 8 hours killing herself and she's had to do that and go to doctors for me for so long all alone and I just can't keep being like this i feel like a leech and I just wanna die.I hate myself.

• Edited

My God, don't be so hard on yourself, if your Mum or your sister were ill would you say they are leeches? Nope. This is an extra negativity that you can really do without.

So let's be practical here, and believeme, I know EXACTLY what you are going through, my next step would be to speak to your teacher and school counsellor. Be proactive, take steps, no matter how small. Maybe they can arrange for you to do your work online temporarily as you recover.

We'll root for you from here!

• Posted

why don't you try ginger before you go in to school and treat yourself with something nice each time you can go? every day you stay have a treat at the end of the day? you could talk to your teachers about building up with lessons you enjoy then slowly lessons you don't quite like?

• Edited

Hi Guy. Sasical has given you some wise words.You arent mentally ill but you do need help from a counsellor.Not sure if you are in US or UK but if you are in UK your doctor should be able to refer you to a young persons counselling service. Your Mum can also be the one to help get you get the counselling the need.

For anyone in UK you need CAMHS....you can find their website and it will explain what happens.

Your Mum obviously does love and care for you so she would want to help, but is she aware of your problem? I can assure you she does not think of you as a time waster and a leech, so put that right out of your head. Big hug to you and hope it all works out OK.

• Posted

You've all been very nice and I have to thank you but guy isn't my real name.I just really really needed some help so I quickly made an account.Im not from the U.S or UK and child mental Healthcare is non existent here.There are psychiatrists but I do not think any that can help at all.

And I know my mom loves me with her all her heart I really do but I've been a great kid with perfect grades,got through first year top of my class and I know at the back of her mind she's mad that I might not ever be like that anymore.Sometimes It just slips out from her you know,she says things about my behavior at home like you stay too much on the phone and this and that and thats why you can't go but than she thinks about what she's said and apologizes.Shes definitely super stressed out and I can't blame her for crying and being sad.Belive me I've cried too.Its a new feeling haha never cried like that before in my life.

As for the topic I really don't know how to get help.Our country is pretty backwards as you can tell and I dont think i can ask for any compromise from a teacher to be able to leave class at any time or anything like that.If I keep on leaving they'll just write it off as a missed day until I'm pretty much out.

I'm gonna just try getting there.Take something for the nausea and just get there.Whatever happens happens I guess.Its all I can do for now.

Thanks for all the support.

• Edited

I'll have to keep calling you Guy and it doesnt matter what your real name is. Most of us on here have created another name. Just a few things that may help you.....If you can, go out for run each day...start with 10 minutes and build up to about half an hour. That will help to relax you and give some good deep breaths to help your oxygen intake. People who are very anxious are often very shallow breathers.

Make sure you have breakfast each day before you leave the house and also a snack mid day. Have regular meals.

Make sure you get a good nights sleep.

Chat to your friends about your worries if you can. There may be someone else in your group who is feeling the same but afraid to show it.

Try yoga , relaxation and meditation....you should be able to find several websites which could help you without paying any money.

Finally....another big hug. You are not alone,....come back on here if you want to chat.

• Posted

nausea is very often from too much acid our stomachs are making because of the foods we eat or the amount we eat! it sounds like a bit of gastritis or acid reflux. It can take months to resolve fully but please remove anything spicy, anything with MSG added and eat healthy non irritating foods. Sometimes a virus or bacteria can also cause nausea. Ask doctor for H Pylori test. If doctor gives you acid suppressors use them sparingly and not for longer than a month or two ( my doc insisted i stay on mine and as i did my symptoms got worse and included stomach PAIN. I removed them myself slowly and all symptoms are now gone!)

Nausea can be debilitating. Tell the people in your life that your stomach is ill right now, make them understand. Also, you could take an anti-nausea med daily when you feel bad. I took a kids gravol which my doctor recommended and it was great- chewable so it dissolved right away and worked fast but smaller dose so it didn't make me too drowsy.

And lastly, YOU WILL GET BETTER!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.