Can't go to the toilet

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

Horrible subject to talk about but I'm getting pretty desperate.. I've always struggled with constipation, after a urine test was diagnosed with ibs which is of no relief. I eat healthily, drink at least 4 litres of water a day and am always active. I simply have no urge to go and have gone up to 6 weeks with only a few very small movements. I get to the point where I'm so incredibly bloated, fatigued, getting mouth ulcers, acne, headaches.. It's making me miserable. I don't know what to do differently. I've moved to an area of relatively high altitute (1,456 metres) which I fear is making me worse. I've tried avoiding meat, dairy and starch but it just leaves me tired and cranky and no less constipated. Coffee no longer has any affect. I've found that fibre-based constipation relief makes me feel worse and I don't want to become reliant on laxatives. The best 'cure' seems to be extreme nervousness which since leaving the corporate world, I no longer suffer from.

If anyone has any advice I'd be very grateful. I'm living in a very small town where the health system/ spoken English is not particularly good so I'm not able to seek professional help.

Thanks, R

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried alverine? It helps functional gastrointestinal disorders, I find it really helps with bloating. Ask your doctor for a prescription. Also, aloe vera juice, avocados, olives and linseeds are good for constipation.

• Posted

Try lots of fruit and don't change your diet too much because diet change can make constipation worse.I would try a laxative because your constipation is so bad. I wouldn't worry about getting reliant on laxatives because that might not even happen. The important thing is to get your bowel moving again. I went on laxatives short term and I had no problem with them and they worked. You should try to see a doctor to get help for the constipation. Even if the health service isn't great, it is better than nothing and could try finding someone who speaks good English to interpret for you.

• Posted

it sounds like tou need to see a gastrointerolofist immediately this isnt simple ibs.

having experienced the nightmare hospitalization of the medical emergencies this can put you in -- TRUST ME when i tell u you need to go quickly.

the doctor may reccommend miralax, colace, an at home water enema or a laxative but you need to call your GP like TOMORROW. because trust me when i tell you you dont want to see what can happen when you leave poop in there too long. its dangerous.

go ahead and try colace and a laxative as its already been so long the poop is hard but im sorry you need a doctor QUICKLY if its been 6 weeks.

i was in the hospiral over 10 days with it. DO NOT WAIT.

ask about a gastric emptying study.

• Posted

due to what this could do to you if you do not poop -- u have no choice but to see a doctor.

trust me, you do not want to wait any longer.

im amazed u can eat still.

do NOT take immodium at all as it will only make u worse

• Posted

you can become reliant on anything but do not worry about it this is the situation where the risks (of which there really aren't!)

theres reliance you're reliant on oxygen. just bc u need something does not make it bad to take EVER. right now you have more of a medical problem that is pretty serious (6 weeks is serious) and that outweighs any reliance risk right now.

you will likely be fine!

but you need to be tested for gastroparesis if its been 6 weeks.

rub your stomach, sides and back gently downward while on the toilet to see if u can stimulate it to cause you to go. even with gastroparesis diagnosis -- this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.