Can't handle caffeine 😢

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been doing really good on my 75mg.....until today. I ran out of my decaf coffee and used regular coffee haven't had regular coffee or caffeine for 2.5 months and had 3 cups and learned I can't handle caffeine like that. I started shaking(my hands) my legs were too and heart started racing so that sent me into a panic attack and it was horrible that cold sensation from toes to head. My pulse and blood pressure finally is back to normal.

I called my doc right away as I was scared and he said stay away from caffeine....it makes panic and anxiety alot worse. That was a lesson learned. Never again! Anyone else experience this?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hey there Nicole, I'm still pretty new to Zoloft but just in general when I'm feeling anxious or prone to a panic attack, I avoid caffeine all together. Stimulants in general will just enhance whatever anxiety you are carrying. Maybe stick with something lighter if you feel like you need a kick. Sometimes a light like white tear or half caff is best. Hope you feel better smile 

• Posted

Thanks Olivia, yes I am staying away from it now. That was horrible. I still have a little anxiety from it today. I have been on zoloft since September 27th upped it 2 times.

How is your journey with it?

• Posted

Well honestly I have only been on the 25mg for a month and the last week and a half I've been off and on 50. Side effects were rough but now I'm wondering if it was also linked the fact I had a terrible cold. So I'm trying to stick with it again. How long have you been taking it?

• Posted

I started with 25mg on September 27th then upped to 50mg 6 days later. Then about 3 weeks after that upped to 75mg. That is where I am at now.

Yes, the side effects were bad but I also found out at the same time that I have low potassium and that affects your nervous system. They figure that is what triggered it all.

I hate when the anxiety creeps back in. What side effects did you have?

• Posted

I totally understand what you are talking about. When the anxiety is bad it just is that feeling of uncomfortable panic. I think the main issue I'm having is just the lack of consistency. I am giving it more time though. I have wild dreams just about every night. Now that I'm feeling better I'm going to try and get on my regular gym schedule to help with the insomnia and just anxiety in general. Have you every tried exercising when you start to feel that anxiety trigger? Sometimes that helps a lot. 

• Posted

I know what you mean. I will go outside or for a short little walk. I need to get back into my gym routine as well. I miss it but yet wondering if I am ready.

I had alot of social panic and being in public. It has gotten better. I can go out now to a store and such. I think it is due to that I had a huge panic attack at a store.

Can't wait to be 100% again.

• Posted

I just experienced this same thing. I am on zoloft and drank a lot of caffeine resulting in a panic attack. I have had panic attacks before and never made the connection. My doctor prescribes clonezapam to help me . After stopping caffeine, and one week later, I feel great. I also found out why I had a bad reaction to anti-nausea medicine (Reglan) years ago while on Zoloft. That medication also causes the jitters and shakes with Zoloft.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.