Can't have HRT

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been to see GP today as he said a few weeks ago that he would be happy to prescribe HRT, to try & ease the path of perimenopause - this is on top of antidepressants & lithium for severe depression.

My blood pressure is high so i've been put on medication for that as of this morning.

GP asked if i have migraine with aura to which i answered yes but rarely, perhaps 1 or 2 a year - and he said i'm sorry but i can't prescribe HRT for you as you may have a stroke.

My world just fell in, i don't think its sunk in yet.

He said i could go down the herbal route but anything containing oestrogen would put me at risk of a stroke....

If anyone has been in this position or can recommend/advise a way round this i'm truly interested.

Thank you

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi tina

I am not allowed to post links here so I will send you a message with a link to an article written only last october.  It says HRT is safe for migraine sufferers.  Show it to your doctor.  

• Posted

meant to say also that using the gels or patches are safer than tablets for migraine sufferers.  hope this helps.
  • Posted

I get aura migraine and have been prescribed gel hrt. I don't have my ovaries though so don't know if that makes a difference
    • Posted

Hello froggy, I don't have my womb or ovaries either and im not allowed HRT because of migraines ! Seems different doctors have different views doesn't it,
    • Posted

If you look online the risk seems to be a 50 /50 split on whether to prescribe or not with most saying non oral hrt helps. I notice that Australia and US seem to be more towards benefits hrt now than UK. I hope it's ok as j take it and been told I'll be on 20 years!
    • Posted

Yes it's interesting isn't it. I'll do more research. - I'm sure you'll be Absoloutly fine and if it helps you then that's a really good thing.
  • Posted

Well that is ridiculous Tina, antidepressants increase your risk of stroke but your doctor is happy to prescribe those!

If I were you and you can afford it I'd go and see a private meno doctor as they are more clued up on these things.

• Posted

Hi Tina,

I can't take HRT either due a blood clotting disorder.  It's bloody tough!!  I take a Mega B Complex that relieves marginally the sleep issues but other than that I just take a day every now and then where I shut myself off from the world and try to regroup.  Every day is a battle to get through and I really struggle (mind you, by the end of this scourge I will probably be divorced, unemployed and friendless).  Going back to doc in a couple of weeks to try and find some relief.  Just know that you are not alone and you loved by the rest of us peri induced lunatics.  Take care xx

• Posted

my god never heard that one before, he may need to read more update info on that. you try and research it and stick it under his nose, you may find there is a type you can have, maybe the anti depressant drs have been promised lots of money if they get people on their drugs, wouldnt put it past them to be honest. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.