Can't leave my house because of anxiety

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ok, so I had anxiety when I was 12 through 14. I had problems eating bcuz I was scared of throwing up and having panic attacks. After 14, I don't remember how but it all went away. I gained a lot of weight (went from 90 to 137) because I ate a lot lol I'm now 20 yrs old and it has come back, but worse now. I had to quit my job as a videographer bcuz I was always scared or nervous I was literally gonna throw up and pass out. Thing is idk where the idea or fear came from. When I first started I was fine, I would travel go on shoots and interview ppl. I don't have social anxiety. Now for the past 3 weeks ever since I quit I can't leave my house. Last weekend I had a panic attack on the highway and now I'm terrified to get in a car. I can't help but cry and be sad bcuz this isn't me. I feel traped in my own body constantly crying and scared of having attacks. I've had 5 attacks in the last month. I m now on Buspirone and all it does is give me weird brain zaps. I'm not a fan of meds for this kinda thing but my mom is worried and thinks it's best. I haven't eaten more than 5 bites of food each meal of the day. It's enough to get rid of the hunger rumbles but I'm losing weight in a bad way. I havent left my bed to the point that it feels like my muscles get sore from walking around. All because I'm scared of having attacks. I already know the facts that I won't die from it and I'm safe but it's a bad experience to go through. Now I am crying thinking will I ever be back to my normal self. I just want to know can I and will I be able to conquer this and get my life back fast.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Your body and mind is in a deep level of stress and fear. All you have to do is reset your system. Go back to your doctor and get on a SSRI. While doing that try to start exercising.. Start slowly like walking or air squats / lightweight Dumbell presses. Your body needs to release stored energy. When you start to feel better begin to workout harder.. That's the best way to burn this stress and anxiety.. If you don't all that crap is going to turn into anxiety attacks. The next step is diet.. You need to fuel your body with the proper nutrients to help your stress levels and mind.. Lots of vegetables / some fruit. Healthy fats and lean meats and clean carbs. No fast food or sugar or stimulants like weed or caffein.

Make sure your getting plenty of sleep and meditating 2-3 times daily. When the medication kicks in and your better... Start focusing on diet / exercise / taking care of yourself and having fun and it won't come back when you get off the medication. Welbutrin worked well for me.

• Posted

Heat has some great ideas; there is only one thing I want to add as a suggestion. If the med you are on is obviously not doing well for you go back for a different one. It may end up being a temporory help, but it sounds like you need the extra help right now to be able to clear and calm your mind enough to follow the excellent advice Heat gave you. Ask your mom to take you for a change to something else.

When I first was hit with anxiety like yours, I felt insane with fear. Meds cleared and soothed my mind enough that I could take charge of my self again and do all the good stuff Heat mentioned. The meds indeed helped me "reset my system."

It sounds like you have great family support and in that you are very lucky...not everyone does, and that is really tough. Hang in there, dear Felix, all will be well. Stay in touch and let us know how it is going, wink

• Posted

As hard as this is for you believe right now you will absolutely get through this. Its a bump in the road. Work with a therapist and cbt counselor and work very hard. Its a hands on, must face your own demons and fears kind of recovery. You dont want to be your old self, that caused you to get to this point. You want to be a new self, the one you should have been. One who will manage and cope properly with the world around them. You have all the answers within you but your negative defensive self has formed very bad habits that must be challeneged and broken apart. Be patient with yourself and you will see in time you will get through this. Believe that. Food gives you energy so as your body adjust to the meds hopefully your appetite will come back. They sell boost nutrition shakes to help you through the begining portion. Some of this is hunger, sugar levels, dehydration it all piles on top of anxiety. You can conquer this but to do so you must challenge it and proove to yourself the anxiety is nothing but a faulty connection you preprogrammed yourself into. A lot of hard work and a ton of acceptance and self love needed. You can hate it out of you or yell it out of you. It has to be done through patient, skills and self love..it is doable and possible.
    • Posted

For the actual agoraphobia aspect CHALLENGE IT. but  not allow this anxiety rule to occur. Ironically with a capital I this whole fight or flight mess is an inborn survival mechanism..its the animal instinct. You can not allow this program to run as a survival skill. It isnt one. The beauty of all of  this is humans have heirarchy of thinking. An over ride button bascially. Your hierarchy of thought can over ride your mal functioning fight or flight situation. You might need some meds to help at first, you might not it will depend on your determination and will. You mentioned you dont have social anxiety but i winder whats your take on the human race overall? Do you trust people? Do you hate people? Here is a secret you are not capable of handling two emotions simutansouly. You cant. The body doesnt know how to do this. Reason im saying this get angry at the anxiety bully, get angry at these false, senseless, useless anxiety rules you have have been programming yourself with. Want it, feel it, sense it and believe it that you are safe and see yourself walking thru the malls or going to dinner or taking a drive. See it every day morning and night, feel as if you are doing it. The mind has no clue what is actually real or not its all based on what you feed it. The mind will validate anything you throw at it, thats its job. I just wanted to add that.
  • Posted

I have said this before. Once you have anxiety and panic attacks, if by some miracle they go away, the buggers are hiding around the corner. They most probably will pop back up at some point when you least expect it. Happened to me too. Oh yes,totally paralized with fear. Gloom and doom. I know about the head zaps,hate that. Tell you doc to take you off that and try something else, maybe a couple of something else. Don't sit by the side line,this is your life. Keep going back, till you are on the ones that make you feel (normal). and can move forward with your life. You can do this!!!! I have been on 2 meds for close to twenty years. I feel good. Ihad tried 3 or 4 before that, then finally we got it right. I think your giving up to soon. xxo

• Posted

what do you think is the cause of the panic attacks?
  • Posted

I'm in the same situation as you sad

Reading the replies though helped me a lot, i hope they did the same to you! We have the power to take back our life's!

All the best and take care

• Posted

Yes you absolutely do! You will need to change the way you think. Change the way you react to your thoughts. You will grow as a person in the process and realize this is all manageable most of the time. Setbacks happen to everyone too. But to do all this you need the proper knowledge, skills and tools and the committment to work hard at this. All can be attained via therapist, cbt therapy, books, cbt workbooks..etc..
  • Posted

I am exactly the same, housebound because of fear of panic attacks,Im sorry I cant tell you how to overcome this,I dont know myself, but i do know what your going through, and its horrible..I am thinking of medication, as its the only thing left i havant tried, mayby it would help you too,I have this for 25 years..my life is ruined, with fear....Hope you find relief soon. xxxxxx
  • Posted

Kimberly is absolutely correct. Do yourself a huge favor and heed the advice. I have hit the right med first time, and on another one...it took 5 tries. Well worth it to keep trying, felix.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.