Can't lose weight, hypothyroidism symptoms, but normal blood test?

Posted , 5 users are following.

For over a year now I have been struggling with odd symptoms however, my blood work is almost normal. Except, I do have an unusually high blood platelet count. I also have low blood pressure every time I test it. I was hoping that thyroid problems would show up on my most recent blood test, but everything seemed normal. I have been suffering with hypothyroidism symptoms, and it runs in my family. My biggest struggle is my weight. I am 167 and 5,7”. I know this is not concerning, but I have been trying to lose weight for years to no avail. Currently, I do intermittent fasting daily. I do not eat anything until around 4 o’clock daily. I also make sure I have a calorie deficit, but not to a point of concern. I have been doing this for around 2 months and have only lost 3 pounds. I do not binge eat either. I am on my feet all day at work (I am a 2nd grade teacher). I track my movement and get well over 10,000 steps daily. I gave up on my personal trainer because constant workouts were not impacting my weight. I get a solid 8 hours of sleep nightly. With my diet and movement level, I don’t understand why I weigh as much as I do/it is extremely difficult for me to lose weight. I also don’t drink alcohol often. I have also been suffering with very dry skin patches/sores recently. I have always had very dry skin and brittle hair. I put lotion on at least twice a day, have to put aquaphor on my lips constantly, and use deep conditioning treatments every time I was my hair. I have seeked professional help through dermatologists many times to no avail. My menstrual cycle has been inconsistent from the start. It is not normally painful/bothersome, but it has always been very heavy. I also often have large blood clots from it. The timing of it is inconsistent. Sometimes every 3 weeks sometimes 6. Last year I also went through a time where I was having it every 2 weeks. However, I got on birth control for a while and it seemed to regulate it. I was concerned that birth control was causing weight issues for me, and I haven’t been taking it this year. The only medication I am currently taking is Concerta for my ADD. However, it has not been as affective for me as it has in the past. I have a very stressful and busy job, so I often attribute it to that. However, I have been suffering with depression and anxiety this year as well. I am working on adjusting meds with my doctor. I am also constantly cold. My hands and feet are often blue. I have to sleep with many blankets at night. In situations where others are warm, I still often need a jacket. I suffer from awful seasonal allergies as well. I got allergy shots for many years to no avail. They impact me greatly, to the point I break out in hives/often have a fever daily during the spring. I am not allergic to any foods, tested multiple times. I also suffer with IBS symptoms (but undiagnosed). I take fiber daily, but I still suffer with either constipation or diarrhea daily. Passing stools often causes sharp pains for me as well, but not always. Any idea as to what could be causing these symptoms? I sincerely thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

They certainly sounds like hypothyroid symptoms. I'm hypothyroid and intermittent fasting never worked for me either (yet to find what does!).

You should request a full thyroid panel from your GP and if they refuse then go private. There are some very informed people on here who will help you interpret the results.

All the best.

• Posted

Hi, do you have a printout of your latest thyroid function test? This should include TSH, FT4, and FT3. Some people have problems converting FT4 to FT3 the active form of the thyroid hormone. They might present with hypothyroid symptoms but have a normal TSH.

For your information, short bursts of aerobic exercise have been shown to increase the thyroid output and metabolic rate. A few minutes at a time are sufficient as long as the exercise is vigorous enough to you raise your heart rate beyond 120 bpm. If you live in an area that is Iodine deficient, then make sure that your get enough Iodine through your food. The normal dose recommended for adults is 150 micrograms. If required, you could consider using Iodized table salt.

It is just a suggestion, but if it turns out that intermittent fasting does not work well for you, then why not try a different model. Your main goal could shift e.g. from trying to reduce weight to improving your quality of life and overall fitness.

Have you tried to slightly reduce the amount of carbohydrates in favour of proteins, healthy fats, and vegetables. Those who are trying to lose weight often make the mistake and drastically reduce the amount of fats they consume. This can lead to bloating and poor absorption of fat soluble vitamins. Instead, make sure that you get an appropriate dose of mono and polyunsaturated fats (from olive, sun flower, rapeseed, avocado, sun flower seeds, almonds). Even butter consumed in moderate amounts is recommendable due to its vitamin content.

For your IBS like symptoms I would highly recommend the regular consumption of (home made) kefir. My mother has IBS and does not normally tolerate milk but she has been consuming fresh kefir for several years and it has ameliorated her IBS related symptoms. Kefir looks like a set yogurt, and is very easy to prepare at home, let me know if you need more any information.

I would also recommend trying Psyllium Husk to supplement your intake of fibre. It is a special plant fiber which is taken with a glass of water. It swells and forms a clear gel providing volume and moisture to the intestine.

• Posted

Hello Bree,

I was so relieved to read this post, in the respect that I'm not alone.

I have had hypothyroidism symptoms for years. My mum is borderline for hypothyroid (don't know if that makes difference, but have heard it's hereditary).

I am at my wits end. I've taken a list if symptoms into the doctor with all those ticked off that I suffer from. The doctor even suggested it might be hypothyroidism. However, because my bloods have come back normal or borderline (I've had a few tests), they keep dismissing it.

Because I am of a certain age, and symptoms are similar it's been suggested it's menopause. Even then they seem reluctant to treat anything. My weight is slowly increasing, even though my diet is unchanged. I've lost 6 stone before, I know how to do it. I am currently at my heaviest and watching it go up, seemingly with no control. I feel as though I'm going to burst if it carries on! ☹️

My skin is severely dry, I have dreadful fatigue and have had 'neuralgia' for some years.

I just can't seem to get a doctor who will take this seriously and follow it up.

Any ideas anyone. It's really getting me down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.