Can't poop for colonoscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Always been healthy except for spinal disease which was always manageable . Now at 56 the lumber has really inflamed causing a loss of colon motility for the last 3 months. I can no longer poop on my and require stimulant laxatives as my ONLY vehicle to prevent a more serious condition of fecal impaction. It took a while to determine the right does/schedule to make things work.

Now, I need a colonoscopy. But since that highly stimulates your colon with both stimulant laxatives and osmotics , I'm afraid that my upset the sensitive balance I have now making the colon desensitized or hyper sensitized for a period of time. This has happned a few times with past colonoscopies lasting up to a month when my colon was healthy. If I lose the ability to clear the colon I'm in serious dodo (literally) but I also need a colonoscopy.

My doctor said it will be fine, but doctors always say that with unknowns like this. My experience has been they can be just as wrong as right in such cases but don't tend to really think about it. They just give a blanket reassuring answer in hopes of mitigating your concern.

Should I risk it?

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Ask your doctor if it is absolutely necessary and outline the concerns you have regarding these side effects after previous procedures. If you are told it is not strictly needed, don't bother having one. Concentrate on how you feel. Everyone's reactions are different and blanket reassurances don't cover all eventualities. I was told how routine sedation was for my endoscopy and it was anything but for me. I was very unwell after it and was told my reaction was unusual which I just don't believe because I later read that my reaction of depression was quite common.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

As someone who has relatives who have died from and are battling colon cancer after putting off a colonoscopy, I say have it done. It can literally be a lifesaver. I know that readjustment may be a pain, but getting a cancer that could have been prevented would be a bigger pain.

Best of luck to you.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Michael

are you taking painkillers for your spine . could be them that causes your fecal impaction , when that happens the impaction presses on the nerve endings , it seems that the lower part of the bowel is close to the lower back spine , plus painkillers slow down peristalsis , but you need painkillers to manage your back its a vicious circle , have a look on the net try find out on how to get the Peristalsis working , foods, physical exercise ( ha ha ha) . peppermint oil . castor oil,lol . bouncing on gym ball gently though because of your spine, glycerine suppositories , digestive enzymes . all this might not work but i don't think would do any harm to try . good luck hope you do ok .

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Vegetables work for me or porridge , you get porridge in sachets now with fruit added, loads of veggies and fruit it's what makes me go and keeps you regular, I have lumbar spine fusion mines flares up I'm on painkillers but I've changed my diet to eating chicken which is protein as you have to have a protein and vegetables carrots, green beans, brocoli is a good pain reliever it gives you vitamin D, everything green even peas have vitamin C and eat salads and kiwi fruits and avocados good for arthritis, and strawberries, eat plenty of blueberries as well, you gets fruits all made up in markets or supermarkets , try that yogurts as well Greek yogurts. Try that .xxxxxz

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Vegetables work for me or porridge , you get porridge in sachets now with fruit added, loads of veggies and fruit it's what makes me go and keeps you regular, I have lumbar spine fusion mines flares up I'm on painkillers but I've changed my diet to eating chicken which is protein as you have to have a protein and vegetables carrots, green beans, brocoli is a good pain reliever it gives you vitamin D, everything green even peas have vitamin C and eat salads and kiwi fruits and avocados good for arthritis, and strawberries, eat plenty of blueberries as well, you gets fruits all made up in markets or supermarkets , try that yogurts as well Greek yogurts. Try that .xxxxxz

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up