Can't seem to function properly!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and not quite used to how it works so here goes. I've been on 20mg citalopram for 13 days now and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel, I feel very panicky in everything I try to do and really lost and confused, I just can't concentrate on any conversation it's like it's going in 1 ear and out the other....is this down to the meds? I'm really scared because I feel I'm losing myself but felt like that over the last 2 years but on these meds I feel strange, can't quite describe it. I havn't worked since October because I had a complete meltdown and I have no idea when or if I can work again because of how I feel...can somebody help as I feel so scared?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Lack of concentration is definitely a side effect of citalopram. I'm on citalopram 30mg but was on 20mg and i understand the feeling. Kinda spacious? I'd give it 6 weeks and if they havent subsided see your doctor or whoever prescribed it. 6wks is usually enough time to tell if it will work, even then it may not fully be in your system. 

I really hope citalopram helps, if not they can always icnrease dose,try and remain calm. As one says, theres a storm before a rainbow - or something similar to that lol! Honestly, I'd give it time and try and remain calm and keep taking it. If it doesnt agree with you and doesnt help, then theres plenty more medication to help. But medication isnt always the answer, as you know, it should be alongside therapy or self help tools. Really hope it helps soon x

• Posted

Hi I’ve been on citolapram for over a year now. It took around 8 weeks for me to feel the benefits but it is gradual. You don’t wake up one day and feel recovered you will just start having better days and gradually think ok I haven’t felt bad for a while! Hang in there it takes time. Hope that’s helpful. 
  • Posted

I’m currently withdrawing from Celexa! I was on it for about 3 weeks at least and quit cold turkey (I’m only 16 and knew nothing about antidepressants, I never asked my doctor to taper me off of it because I didn’t know I had to.) I’ve been having constant anxiety and chest pains. I’ve had an ambulance called on me and went to the ER because it made me feel like I was honestly dying. I’ve had this constant cold/burning sensation in my chest for a week now and my head feels like I took too much adderall. I sweat a lot. I wake up almost 3 times a night. I just now started having very vivid dreams. It’s horrible but apparently, all this will go within time. I am on my third day of Prozac. Seems to be helping a little bit. 
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies guys, I'm looking for some re-assurance with how I feel on a day to day basis. It honestly feels like I'm slipping away from reality. I do kinda feel spaced out abit but I've noticed a heightened anxiety, become really lazy and not wanting to go out or be with anyone because how I feel. I've recently got my own flat, I'm 40yrs old. I had spent 15 months on the floor of my mums livingroom floor in a bed sit and feel physcoligically damaged. I suffer with clinical depression and  severe anxiety. I have been on mitazipine, Prozac, sertraline, pregabalin over the last year this I feel is my last shot with citalopram and want to do its cause to help with my state of mind. I hope you guys understand what I have written...any help is much appreciated. Did anyone else feel isolated with all the other side affects? When it finally works does it help with racing thoughts and negative thinking? Did anyone take lots of time off work and how did you get through it? Sorry for all the questions😬

• Posted

Hi I’m so sorry you feel the way you do I know the feeling all to well ! As I said previously the citolapram started to take effect in about 8 weeks for me. I had 3 months off work prior to going on the citolapram and then on the medication I was able to work again. I think giving it time is key to recovery you will not just wake up one day and be fully recovered and citolapram makes anxiety much worse before it gets better. As for the feeling of detachment I felt like I was in a bubble not really here for a few weeks it’s horrible but it does get better!
    • Posted

Did you stay at the same dose whilst you were on citalopram? It sounds like you have gone through the tough times on the med and what you described is exactly how I feel. It's such a horrible feeling to wake up in severe panic, it's because of these feelings I can't work. Does the anxiety finally clear up? Can I ask how you have your meds? Do you take them in the morning or at night? I was taking mine at abit 8 at night but over the last 5 days I'm trying 10mg at 8 in the morn and 10mg at 8pm.

• Posted

I stayed at 20 for around 3 months and most of my symptoms had gone or were greatly reduced however, I was still having anxiety in the morning and at night. I then went on to 30 and this helped again after a period of time. I take mine at night because I feel they help me sleep.  I don’t think you can say anxiety completely goes away because it is normal to be anxious about somethings but the medication helped me get back on track and I was able to go back to work quite comfortably. Things do get better just keep going and you will come out of the other side a stronger person. Can I suggest a book I’ve just read called at last a life by Paul David. The author had suffered for 15 years and he talks a lot about detachment and his own recovery. 

• Posted

That was my plan to stay at 20mg for 3 months to give it a good chance. I'm hoping by then my symptoms have cleared up and to think abit more clear instead of this confusion blanket I've been walking around with for the past 2 years. I've never actually taken ssri's for more than a month as I found the side effects to much to handle and the withdrawals from this medicine are worse than actually starting up. I want to stay with citalopram to hepefully feel more free from my mind. It's good to hear that you went back to work after 3 months, it shows they must have some effect. I will look into that book you suggested, I've just finished reading Frank Bruno's new book and found it very inspiring. When you were off work for the 3 months what did you do with your time off? How did you deal the effects with starting up on citalopram? Thanks for the vote of confidence.

• Posted

Yeh they definitely had an effect they were slow to take effect but once they had I felt alive again. To be honest at first when I was off work it is all a blur I was so bad mentally I couldn’t even watch a tv programme I had no concentration and felt like I was just floating around in a bubble. As time went on and the tablets kicked in I started going for walks and setting myself little tasks to do. Things just got easier to manage. Yes you must keep going with the tablets they helped me tremendously but I must stress it takes time. I know how frustrating it is believe me I was counting the days on the calendar until I might feel normal again but trust me you will and you won’t be able to imagine how bad you feel now. 
    • Posted

What you have described in your last message is exactly how I am now, I keep thinking I'm losing my mind and it's a scary thing to feel as you well know. I have struggled to watch telly for a long time now but concentration levels are very low. It gives me some kind of hope to know there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. I don't think I have an option but to hope the tablets kick in and try to live a normal life. I'm trying to keep going out for walks just so I'm not locked inside on me own all day, just to go the shop can take a long time mentally to prepare, life shouldn't be like that. I understand when you say all a blur, I have only been in a flat since 8 Jan also the same day I started my meds, I can't hardly remember half the days since I've been here now I think about it and yes it does feel like floating around in a bubble. Thanks for giving me hope

• Posted

Hi there I started taking 20 mgs this week and I feel the same as you. Feeling extreme panic and anxiety. Not able to work and feeling so detached from everyone. I can watch tv and have been watching a lot of films. It passes the time. I have better days when i make myself take long walks but often lack energy. I will, like you push through and only hope the positive effect will come sooner than the 4-6 weeks mentioned here. Good luck. I am sure it will get easier, it has to, no!!!
    • Posted

Same here mate....I've been trying to watch films or boxsets just so I can try to focus on anything but the anxiety but it's always there in the background waiting to pounce, I can feel it. I'm on my 3rd week now and this morning was so awful, I couldn't stop my mind screaming it was that bad as all mornings are. It's hard to not be able to work, I've worked for 25 years but havn't done anything for 3 months because of this illness. I find this site helpful because it can give you confidence and reassurance. I hope we all have better days and we help each other so if you want to chat then I'm here. 

• Posted

HI there I’m 2 weeks on 20mg and i am now having clear spells usually from after lunch until the next morning. Sometime sooner earlier sometime later but I am getting some clarity back. Just got to stick with it. Keep going. Jason 
  • Posted

Hi Brye I'm going through the same thing currently. I feel panicky and can't think, but mine comes in waves. I will feel good for awhile then I get into a total mental fog and feel exactly how you're describing and it feels horrible. I have been on Celexa for a couple years now because it really seemed to help my depression but now I'm starting to feel like I might need a change because I can't deal with this mental fog. I can't function properly and it's hard to take care of my children let alone myself like this. I'm sorry you're struggling too. definitely don't give up. Get in to see your psychiatrist as soon as possible and let them know that the medication is making you feel bad so he or she can help. Make sure you speak up for yourself. That's one thing I've had to learn to do over the years is to speak up for my mental health and well being and to make sure I was being heard and not being swept under the rug. You are important and your well being is important. Just keep telling yourself "This isn't a problem, it's a process" and as hard as it is right now just try to remember that the way you are feeling is going to get better, you just have to push through this little yucky time in your life. I hope you have a happy New Year!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.