Can’t seem to lose any more

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi! I’m 26 female, and only 5ft2. So any weight loss or gain is quite major to me.

Back in November I was put onto amitriptyline to help with Migraines. Not only was this awful for me mentally, but it made me eat constantly and I put on just under a stone in the month I was on this. I was then changed the propranolol, which had similar effects so my weight stayed pretty much the same at around 9 stone 12 lbs. Covid hit the UK and I decided to come off the propranolol myself but waited to consult the dr for more meds, until my migraines got bad again at the end on April. - at which point I was prescribed topiramate.

In the time between tablets I had been attempting weight loss with various methods including low carb diets and low calorie, as I had before whilst on the previous meds. But no success at all. In fact. I think I lost one pound in three weeks and gave up as you do!

As soon as I went on the topiramate (only 25mg) it helped my migraines and I was losing about 1lb a day at first (following a calorie controlled diet and exercise)!!! This soon slowed to a much healthier rate, until I reached my weight I was prior to amitriptyline. I do have some more to lose but I couldn’t have been happier. UNTIL.

A month in, the drs informed me that my contraceptive pill was no longer working and I was to take emergency contraception and choose between the coil or the injection (depo). I chose to go with the depo.

The emergency pill caused me to gain two pounds in the week following taking it (diet and exercise remained the same), and only three weeks down the line have I been able to lose those two. Probably with the help from water retention tablets from the pharmacy - which I got since I was super bloated!! The depo was injected a week later than the emergency pill, so two weeks ago now and weight loss has been completely stagnant.

I’ve been sticking to my diet so perfectly, and I just don’t know what more I can do!

The dr has even recently increased my topiramate due to migraines (50mg now), so I know that should even be helping and it doesn’t seem to be.

I’m eating around 1000 calories a day, which does satisfy me, and I’m not going hungry at all. But I’m very aware than any lower than this would be silly, yet any higher and I do see a spike in the scales!

Just wondered if anyone else has any experience with this? It’s so frustrating working so hard and not seeing any results for over three weeks now!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Give it time, and stay focused, the improvement will come in due time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.