Can’t shake this feeling, it’s like my head nerves are stuck in fight or flight?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey there,

I am 22 and I get feelings of anxiety here and there but recently it has gotten worse and i'm tired of it. It started getting worse around January of 2021 after a night out with friends I came home and threw up a lot from drinking way too much and vaping a bunch. Kinda panicked a bit and my mind went blank. Ever since then it's like my mind is stuck in fight or flight. It's hard to explain but I feel "off" and stuck in my head. Like there's something wrong with my brain nerves. I also get feelings of derealization and depersonalization from time to time. This could all be in my head and manifesting from anxiety but I just hate feeling of being in my head all the time. I got a clean brain mri back in June, and well as clean bloodwork, and normal thyroid levels. Yet I feel weird. An example would be the games I used to play on laptop feels weird now like I can't focus on my character that I am playing as like my brain isn't registering fast enough. Maybe an eye issue like sinuses? It could be a lot of different things, but I never felt this way before. In the past I felt normal I guess and carefree. I have tried everything from supplements like magnesium, cbd, advil basically anything that will "help" my anxiety or pain I guess. Also tried meditating and deep breathing, they help calm me down in a way at the time but then I'll still feel weird eventually. I went to my school's doctor and was prescribed Bupropion and I didn't feel s**t so he changed it to Paxil. I took it for 20ish days and it just made me tired all the damn time and emotionally drained so i'm straight up thinking of quitting cold turkey. Drinking helped a lot, so did nicotine in the past but eventually made everything a whole lot worse so i’m trying my hardest to cut down. Any advice or anything at all would be appreciated beforehand and I pray that anyone here with an illness gets through it.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Hi there

Hope you're doing ok today. It's really hard coping with mental issues. Our lives are all so different, it affects how we're able to deal with things. Family, friends, jobs etc all play a part.

I've been carrying around a lot of demons for a very long time. Its hard work mentally and physically. It's taken me over 50 years to finally begin dealing with them. Like yourself, I've tried the various routes, medication, alcohol, meditation etc and didn't find them very helpful.

Ironically, it's the things I've always turned my nose up at that have started to help me. For years I've heard people saying, live for the moment and they're right.

I try not to think about next month or next year, I try to stay focused on the present day.

If my mind starts to wander to dark places, I now instantly tell myself to stop. Anybody around me must think I'm insane because I say it out loud, it gives it more umpf! It's been hard getting my head around it and keeping up with it but I'm getting there.

Nature and fresh air help, forcing yourself to go for a walk really will help.

I'm trying to appreciate the things I have as well. I've discovered that saying things out loud really do give it more umpf. I try to stay out of my head as much as possible.I'm sure there are some people out there that will say that's a bad idea but it's working for me and it's a positive step forward.

I know what you're going through is completely different to me and what works for one, may not work for another. They're all mental issues though, maybe telling yourself no as soon as you start to feel yourself disappear inside yourself might help?

I hope you manage to get on top of what you're going through.

Good luck and take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.