Can't sleep as constant temperature change , boiling hot then cold...

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am so tired in the mornings as I spend the entire night throwing the duvet off me as my skin is boiling hot then when I dose off I feel cold and reach out for it again...I am not sweating loads so the bedding is wet it's just a swing from hot to cold...I'm knackered in the morning and also interrupting my husband's sleep...I dare to think what it will be like in the summer.. can't see the point of going onto HRT as it will only postpone this whole cycle ..Anyone have any tips ? Or can relate to this ?

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi. This started for me last summer, waking 4 or 5 times a night, burning all over, kicking the duvet off then shivering. It also made me have a panicky breathless feeling.  As recommended by ladies on here, I started taking super strength sage and within two weeks the night flashes had stopped. Until then I'd recommend wearing a cotton nightshirt/tshirt and having spares by the side of the bed to change into if you wake sweating.

Hope you find something to help you. 

• Posted

Sage works but so does Maca. Maca also helps with libido.
    • Posted

Thank you I'm guessing you can buy' Maca in tablet form in a health shop?

• Posted

Yes, Penny, they come in capsules since it is an herb and yes, a health shop should have it.
  • Posted

Yes I get this, Im a year and half into menopause, it did calm down but has come back again and the waking in the night. I just lie there quietly not looking at the clock hoping to drift back off which I eventually do. I dont really know how to stop the hot and cold feelings as Im not on anything either x
  • Posted

I'm 9 years postmenopausal.....I'm age 55 now. Hot flushes and night time flushes have almost disappeared it's great! Very occasionally I get one which I can cope with. I don't work as I was having such a bad time with it all I just couldn't! I now care for my mum full time and that keeps me busy! It's been an awful journey of feeling horrible and every symptom there is. I can say all I'm left with now is anxiety which I'm on sertraline 50mg daily been on it for nearly 3 years it works for me and don't think about it now. We spend our 30/40's bringing up our children then BANG! ..menopause hits and takes away the years we should be enjoying! I have missed out on so much the last 10 years like so many others it's so unfair. I had a career/job, independent & earning a wage....lost it all because I couldn't get any help or understanding from any Doctor...it's just not recognised as so debilitating. Sending good you big hugs...thanks for listening to my rant lol!! ?xx

• Posted

I am the same...all night long, from a sheet to a duvet to nothing, hot to cold...it is quite sleep disruptive.  I am in the same camp as you with HRT figuring I have to go through it, no sense prolonging it, so I am suffering through all these changes and hoping it doesn't last ten years.

• Posted

I might be wrong, but if you are living in a cold environment (eg winter) and going from a hot flush at night back to normal cold ambient temperature, it may be peri/menopause, but if your body temperature is going hot /cold despite the environment, maybe it's thyroid?? May need iodine?? (Simple blood or urine test).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.