can't sleep at night, tried everything, please help

Posted , 7 users are following.

for the past 5 nights i've been completely sleep deprived. i have been sleeping about 2-4 hours depending on the night but to me it feels like i am not sleeping at all... i can't remember feeling asleep or being asleep. i am groggy and feel like i have the flu all day (a result of poor sleep i'm sure) & then when nighttime rolls around, i get an adrenaline rush. first it's good, its energy, but then when i lay down to sleep, it turns into nervous energy, anxiety that i won't be able to rest or sleep. i am so exhausted i don't know what to do anymore. i am going to see my gp doctor tomorrow & see what she suggests but i really want to get some sleep for the time being.... i also do not want to take any kind of pills because of addiction risks in the family & also anxiety over the pills not working & instead making me feel even worse. i have tried all sorts of non-medical approaches (asmr, meditation, soothing sounds, music, reading, tv playing in the background, softly spoken stories) but nothing has worked so far.... i am really scared that this is going to kill me & that i will never get better. also when i lay down all of my limbs fall numb & it freaks me out so much i wake myself up from it.... i'm not sure whatto do anymore, please help me! thank you!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, so sorry to hear what u going through. I was a insomniac for many years I take a sleeping tablet called zopliclone the most ur doctor will give u is 5 to 7 days. As like u said u can get addicated to them. 

But for now I feel u do need a sleeping pill I know exactly how it is I go through it day on day out. Get some rest during the day avoid coffee and any energy drinks as that won’t help but I get it u also need to get though the day.

See doctor and get some help pleaser as I don’t want u to be like me and lose sleep for years and years. All the best let me know how u get on. 

• Posted

Hi, i had come across this website, is about using music with special HZ to treat insomnia so that can calm down our mind and fall to sleep. hope can help you. below is the link..cheerss..

sleepwell.health.blog

• Posted

CBT for insomnia my friend! Psychotherapy instead of sleeping pills http://www.sleepeducation.org/treatment-therapy/cognitive-behavioral-therapy

I've tried a few skills out here when I was going through insomnia and they helped me, particularly sleep hygiene (good bedtime routine before bed), diffusing from negative unhelpful thoughts that cause anxiety (eg; "What if I don't sleep again?"wink and sleep restriction. Just generally reminding myself that if I don't sleep tonight, it will be okay, and overtime this helped with the anxiety. i developed a bedtime routine of no phones/devices half an hour before bed, tea, light reading, filled out my bedtime diary, herbal pills then sleep. It worked smile 

So I suggest to go and see a psychologist to get this therapy, or look at online versions of CBT-I for free. I'm actually writing my psychology paper on this, and they find that therapy works just as well as sleeping pills without the negative side effects! The cost is that it takes time to kick in. Sleep restriction is HARD but the research says, necessary. If you're willing to put in the hard effort and time, it can work. 

In saying that, I did take a benzo for the first night just to get some sleep, and that helped kick my brain back into the pattern of "bed = sleep" not "bed = anxiety", so taking a pill on rare occasions can't hurt. As long as it's not more than every second night and for a period of a month or so. 

• Posted

I went through the very same thing about ten years ago. Tried everything natural, saw a psychologist etc... I was just too stubborn to take medication. Well I finally went through a depression and had no choice but to take medication. It took years for me to get off the antidepressant, not a pleasant trip. I would strongly suggest to take a sleeping pill for a short time, not sleeping is way worse for your health. Today I sleep very well but still take .25 mgs of a benzo, a very small dose. I go to bed every night  at the same time, get up at the same time, eat well and exercise everyday. Just out of curiosity, are you male or female? If female, hormones can play havoc on your sleep around menopause, that was the case with me. Hope you can find a solution to your problem, but please get help soon. God bless! 
    • Posted

i am female but only 19, so menopause should not be affecting this lol. i went to the doctor yesterday & was prescribed clonazepam 0.5mg- i slept about 6 hours last night but now i'm terrified i won't sleep again tonight & that i'm going to go crazy before this is resolved. 

• Posted

Well that is what I take to sleep, but only a half. It takes a few days to get in your system. 
    • Posted

i have been prescribed to take 3 doses a day to get my body back on track, i've taken 2 & i definitely feel more calm now thative taken my 2nd dose. i'm going to stay up & take the 3rd one about an hour before bed & hopefully that helps... how has it worked for you??? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.