Can't sleep. Wake up a couple hours after falling asleep with heart racing, I don't know what to do.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys, I'm new here and I have been struggling with health anxiety for a little over fiver years now. There was some improvement but now it's gotten worse again. Recently I've been anxious about my heart and obsessively check it throughout the day. At night when it's time to go to sleep, I wake up maybe an hour or two after falling asleep with an elevated heart rate. Sometimes I get cold tingly feelings in my legs and arms and chest burning. I been to the ER sooo many times over the years and twice this past week. Said heart is fine. BP was elevated which is normal for me with anxiety. I'm at my wits end. I don't know how to deal. I am sleep deprived which you can only imagine makes my anxiety worse.

Has anyone ever gone through this? If so, how did you get through it?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Ive been suffering with alot of horrible head issues that no drs can figure out but for about week now i been waking up early aware of my heartbeat then get a sick feeling all over my body when i get up from it i have bad head pressure pain on top of head with dizziness then lasts all day. I hope you get some answers and relief cuz ive been suffering over a year. feel like im knocking on deaths door

• Posted

well first of all your heart is OK so that’s great.

The cold tingly feelings etc. are very common with anxiety.

i’ve been through this many times Sounds like you are suffering from intense anxiety and possibly panic. There’s most likely some anxiety going on to cause this. If you’re having problems sleeping, I would suggest some thing that always works for me and that is to Either turn on some white noise or listen to meditations for anxiety or sleep. Those are on YouTube and I always fall asleep before they are done.

for the racing heart. ...The key to bringing it down is proper breathing for anxiety. proper oxygenation is important. The racing heart is due to the release of adrenaline during anxiety. It’s not harmful but I know it feels uncomfortable.

you can find many breathing exercises for anxiety on YouTube also.

One thing that is important to know is that the more you worry, overthink about all of this, the more you all have those sensations. So I would suggest that you calm down your mind through the meditations and breathing exercises and do it a few times a day.

also, exercise is a great way to relax everything. That’s because it releases a good hormone that makes you feel mentally better. Even if it’s just going for a walk in nature.

The worst thing you can do is sit around and think about all of this.

if you are really struggling, speaking with a counselor can help because they can give you ideas on how to manage it.

hope this helps a little!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.