Can’t squat to have a bath

Posted , 7 users are following.

I would love a bath but can’t squat to sit down in the bath owing to knee stiffness, I am in my 16th week I’d a tkr

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have the same problem. First TRK and therapy did no good to help my pain, it would only swell back up and hurt. Then I had revision surgery which really didn’t help. Went to therapy did my own home exercises To only make it bad again.  Surgeon said it was OK pat me on the back send me on my way. Went to chiropractor and she took x-rays of my hip, hip on same side as knee replacements was totally worn out gone. Then I had to have a hip replacement.  So now today 2 1/2 two years, ,  still gets to the point where I can’t walk can’t bend the best bend I get is 90 degrees.Had three nerves put to sleep around knee  Had three nerves put to sleep around my knee which did help a lot , but nerves are waking  and I dread the terrible pain! The last Dr. said it was scare tissue whatever this whole deal is effecting other leg and hip( the way I walk)   Sorry, got into more than wanted- just wanted to say I know your frustration and I hope your road gets less worrisome.   Good luck and take care.

• Posted

Thank you Jack. I am sorry to hear you've had so much pain. I hope get sorted. Take care.

• Posted

Try do some exercise before u get into the bath then try and get into the bath and squat down slow hold on to the two handles at the sides of the bath do exercise when I are in the bath it really helps. Good luck hope this is helpful
  • Posted

I had the opposite problem, could get in easy enough, but getting out was a nightmare!!

Try to lower yourself in using your arms, but if you can't get your knee bent enough to get under yourself you may have the same problem I had in getting out!

I thought in the end that discretion was the better part of valour & shower.... still!!

Good luck for that soak in the tub 

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Thank you Marilyn. How long ago did you have your replacement.
    • Posted

I had my right knee done in October 2016 & the left just before Christmas 2017, so coming up 19 & 5 months.

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Hi Marilyn. Had first TKR in June 2017 and didnt manage a bath until Dec 2017!! Like you held onto handles on bath getting in but went down last few inches with a thud! Getting out was a performance but I still had bend in my "good" knee. Second TKR in March 2018 - havent had bath since night before going into hospital and cant see me ever having a bath again!! Even getting into the shower - over the bath - was very tricky for couple of weeks post op both times but Ive worked out the routine now - operated leg out first followed by other one which has more of a bend to get over the side of the bath. Bought couple of the handles that stick on the tiles with suction and they are brilliant  to grab onto. Just need to check each time that they are securely fixed!

• Posted

I haven't had a bath in 5 years. I can get in but not out! I miss a long soak. I do shower, lol.

• Posted

Hi Jancon,

I am 6 months post op. Had my first bath last night.😊

It will come, believe.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

That is brilliant thanks that has given me hope. Thanks for replying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.